bad argument

He stood in his old Manhattan apartment that evening, drink in hand and the voice of his younger brother who relayed the events of just that mid-day.

Damon sought answers there in Manhattan. An arrangement with  Edrick Congreve would bring him to Lenox Hill in just under a couple hours.

"It was..." Stefan sighed, and Damon could hear him pacing slowly about his room, stepping over fallen books, the sound of paper under him. "Scary, honestly. She was stronger than before, but I could also see she had a lot more control."

"Mm..." Damon nodded, putting the phone on speaker and pouring himself re-filling his drink. If Damon had the good fortune, Stefan would be hanging up soon. The man certainly didn't want to talk to Stefan right then, wishing to call only upon her.

But he hadn't any good reason to ignore his brother's call.

"Didn't exactly enjoy my leg being engulfed in flames." Stefan sighed and Damon snorted, strolling to his window.

He sipped his drink, "Engulfed in flames, huh?" He asked, looking out onto Central Park, the streets below still noisy.

"Yeah, half my leg. Would've lost it if she stopped any later." Stefan sighed, "Anyway. How's it up there?"

Damon rolled his eyes, "Uh, it's good. Seeing him in a couple hours." Perhaps he would need to hang up himself. "Look, I wanna call Y/N before it get's too late. I'll text you later, yeah?"

"Yeah, Yeah. For sure."

"Alright, bye." He said, and hung up.

At once he clicked on her contact, quite high on his recent call list. She picked up on the third ring.

"My girlll," He said before she could greet him, flopping on a tufted white armchair,

"Hey," she chuckled and he could just picture the smile on her face, "How are you doing? How is it up there?" She asked,

He sighed, shrugging as if she could see "Boring without you." He said, earning a laugh, "Missed this apartment though. I'm definitely taking you next time." Damon glanced about his old apartment, eyeing furnishings and decor he hadn't changed since the early 90s. "Though, it certainly needs better furniture."

She chuckled, "Knowing your taste I'm sure it looks great. Which neighbourhood again?"

"Upper Eastside." he shrugged,

"Right. Damn, okay..." She spoke through a smile, "Old Manhattan apartment in the Upper Eastside? Don't mind if I do."

"Mm, I miss your face." He sighed, eyes fluttering closed.

She giggled softly, "I miss yours. You said you're on your way back tomorrow?"

"Yep. Gonna see him in a couple hours." He nodded, standing from his chair at the thought of Edrick and sipping his expensive drink. He stepped for the window, meeting the similar noise just minutes before.

"Sounds good. You sound a little nervous..." She said, a hint of reluctance in her words. The girl hadn't yet asked him such a thing. He knew she was curious on how he would respond.

So he shrugged. "A little..." He said, "I guess. I think it's mostly the way in which I received his invitation." 

"Mm." Y/N nodded,

"Ominous, to say the least." He sighed, and before she could ask him anything further, "Well, if you're down, should we find some dates for a trip back up here?" He asked.

He heard her chuckle, maybe the noise of her phone against her cheek as she shook her head at his deflection. "I'm down." She said, "I mean, if you wanna go soon, spring break's coming up in a couple weeks. But we can always wait until summer so we have more time to plan."