Chapter 7- love notes

The girls have continued to send Emily gifts from her "secret admirer". James hated it. He hated seeing her in the hoodie, hated seeing how she smiled at the stupid letters, hated that he didn't understand why he had the urge to burn every last letter and take her for himself. He's never felt this way. Why did his heart ache every time she left the room? Why did he have dreams of kissing her?

"Moony I need your help."

"What?"

"I think I'm sick."

"Why do you think that?"

"Whenever I see Emily my face gets super hot and my heart aches. I don't want to flirt with Evans anymore. I must be sick. Every time she gets a letter I feel like tearing it up and taking her away from everybody else. Whenever we accidentally touch I feel sparks in my arm. Help me. I think I'm dying."

"James, you're in love."

"What? No I can't be."

"You're in love with Emily. Say it yourself, it'll just feel right."

"I'm in love with Emily. I love her." James spotted Emily walking away quickly.

"Go after her. Tell her."

"But what if she doesn't love me?"

"There's only one way to find out."

"I can't."

"Why? You've confessed to Lily before, why is Emily different?"

"Because it's Emily. The thought of her saying no kills me. I can't lose her. I thought I loved Lily but it wasn't like this. Emily, she's...Amazing, perfect. I can't handle not having her, even if it's just as a friend."

"She doesn't think so. She thinks she's nothing compared to Lily."

"Lily doesn't even come close to comparing to her. Emily is everything anyone could ever need. I love her so much that it hurts. I can't believe it took me this long to realize."

~time skip~

James walked into the great hall just as a letter landed in front of Emily.

"Girls I told you no more secret admirer stuff." She whispered to them.

"That's not from us."

"Who could it be from then?"

"Open it."

James sat down close enough to her that he could hear how she reacted. He watched her as she opened the letter and read it.

'Dear Emily River,

I don't know how to say this any other way so I'll just come out with it. I'm absolutely in love with you. I'm so in love that it hurts. Whenever I see your smile my heart skips a beat. Whenever I hear your voice it's like angels singing. I have never felt this way before. Everything reminds me of you. When I hear birds singing I think of how much you love singing. When I see the rain I'm reminded of something very special. When I see strawberries I remember how your hair smells of strawberries. When I hear your name I'm reminded how much I need you. I will never be able to tell you these things in person because you are out of my reach. Telling you who I am would be like jumping from the astronomy tower. I can't handle losing you. I will have to keep these feelings bottled up because I know you could never love someone like me. I love you with all that I am.

Yours truly.'

Emily couldn't believe someone could love her so much. She stared shocked at the paper. Another envelope flew down and landed in front of her. She took it and opened it. She pulled out a necklace with a ring on it.

'P.s this is my promise ring to you that I will love you forever.'

She put the necklace on and folded the papers nicely.

"What did it say?" Marisa asked.

"That they think I'm pretty." It wasn't a complete lie.

"Who was that from?" James asked.

"Secret admirer." Nora replied.

Emily was holding the letter close while she stared at her food.

"Did you like the necklace you got?" James asked.

"Yeah. I- I need to know who this is. I have to talk to them."

"Why not try writing to secret admirer? It might work."

"Yeah I'll try that. Anyone got parchment and a quill?"

"Here." James handed her the stuff and she began writing. She took her sweet time.

After she had finished she folded the letter, slipped it into an envelope and stood up.

"I could take it up. I have to deliver a letter to my mum anyways." James said.

"Promise you won't read it?"

"Only the secret admirer will. I solemnly swear."

"That's unbreakable." Sirius said.

"Okay." Emily handed the letter to James and he headed out of the great hall. Instead of going to the owlery he went to find a broom closet to hide in.

He opened the letter and began to read.

'Dear secret admirer,

I'm sorry if I don't agree with you. I'm not as amazing as you make me out to be. How can I believe that someone could love me so much, when I don't even love myself? I really wish that I knew who you were so that I could help you see that I'm not that great. There's thousands of girls much prettier than I am. I'm sorry that I cannot accept your love. I am in love with someone else. Someone who is out of my reach. Like you said I am. This boy I like is in love with someone else. And I can't compete with her. I probably shouldn't be telling you this as it might break your heart. Sincerely Emily.'

James felt tears blurring his vision.

'Dear Emily,

I never expected my love to be returned. I never planned on you feeling the same. It was too far-fetched. About this boy you love. He's stupid if he doesn't love you. This girl that he likes cannot compare to your beauty. I'm positive that I could get so many to agree that you are the most beautiful person. Maybe try talking to the boy about how you feel. Maybe he feels the same and is just trying to make you jealous. You could make him jealous.

Sincerely your secret admirer.'

He sent the letter to her and re-entered the great hall. He saw her opening the letter. She read it and wrote back.

"He's sure responding fast." Sirius said.

"He's very sweet." Emily smiled and stuck her letter in her bag.

"That was from you wasn't it?" Remus asked as the Marauders headed to class.

"Don't say anything."

"I really think you should just confess."

"No. She told me in her letter that she is in love with someone who isn't in love with her. That doesn't fit my description."

"She doesn't know you love her."

"No, just drop it."