Chapter 3-detention and crushes

The two of them spent the day laughing and talking about old times.

"We should do this more often." James leaned his head against the tree they were sitting under.

"We should." Emily sat next to him and closed her eyes.

Her eyes shot open again when she felt something in her lap. James had his head on her lap and was closing his eyes with a smile. She closed her eyes again and she started playing with his hair without thinking.

James' breath caught when he felt soft hands in his hair. His heart was racing. What was that tingly feeling in his stomach? He opened his eyes to see Emily leaning on the tree with her eyes closed. He studied her face. The twinkle in her blue eyes, the way her Blonde hair fell perfectly. She was perfect. Wait a minute! What was he thinking? He's in love with Lily. Isn't he?

"Oh, we should probably go to transfiguration, McGonagall won't be fooled." James sat up still lost in thought.

"Umm yeah." Emily pulled James up and the two headed to their class.

"Welcome mister Potter, Miss River. You're just on time." The two of them took the only empty seats in the back of the class.

Throughout the class Emily noticed Lily sending her glares and Nora sending questioning looks.

After class Nora came up to her. "You two weren't in any classes. What have you been doing?"

"Just talking."

"Right Miss I'm in love with James Potter but have absolutely no chance, what were you two doing?"

"Honestly! Just talking."

"You're telling me the whole story after your detention."

"I forgot about that."

Emily sat at a desk and waited for McGonagall to tell her how many lines she would be writing.

"Alright, you're in detention because you broke the rules. You'll be writing lines-Emily?" Emily spun around to see James.

"What are you doing here James?"

"McGonagall asked me to take over detention for the day, I wasn't too happy but it's cool now. Is it just you? What did you do?"

"I used Levicorpus on someone."

"Wicked! I mean that's not good." Emily laughed. "Who was it?"

"Don't get mad at me. Evans."

"Really? Well you have to write 50 lines. I will not hex other students."

"You're not mad?"

"Nah. I can't be mad at you." Emily quickly wrote her lines and handed James the paper.

"I'm supposed to make you stay here until dinner so we can just hang out while we wait." James stuck his feet on the desk and leaned back in his chair. Emily sent a spell at the leg of his chair and caused him to fall over. She walked over to the desk and looked over it.

"Oops. You fell." James looked mad but his face softened into a smile as soon as he saw her.

"Hilarious." His voice was dripping with sarcasm.

"I know I am."

"Help me up or you have to write 200 more lines."

"You wouldn't make me do that."

"Alright, I'm assigning you 200 more lines. Get going."

"How are you going to make sure I do them if you're on the floor?" Emily walked over to his side of the desk and smirked at him.

"Fine, if you won't help me up then you're coming down." James grabbed her arms and pulled her down. She crashed on top of his chest and her face went bright red. James was laughing.

"James, let me go!" Finally he let go and Emily scrambled up and hid her face. James got up and walked over to her.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make you upset." He put his hand on her shoulder and she tried to Ignore the sparks she felt.

"I'm not upset."

"Then why are you hiding your face?"

"Because my beauty would blind you."

"Yeah yeah, come on, let's go to dinner before it's all gone."

"What about my 200 lines?"

"That was a joke."

"I knew you loved me!"

"Mhm." James' face was red as they walked to the great hall.

"There you are!" Her friends all ran over to her.

"Come on, we're all sitting together today." Nora grabbed her arm and began dragging her away from James.

"Which table?"

"Hufflepuff." Julian answered.

They all sat at the Hufflepuff table. Emily was sitting where she could see the Gryffindor table. James was sitting next to Lily. It looked like they were having a deep conversation. Her friends noticed where she was looking and frowned.

"Dang it! I totally thought you had confessed. You guys spent all day together." Nora said.

"They did?!" Marisa asked.

"Yeah they skipped all of their classes except the last."

"What about your grades!"

"Who cares Julian. It's the first day."

"Did you get him to fall in love with you?" Julian asked.

"Obviously not. Why can't we talk about other people? How are things going with Regulus?" Emily asked Marisa.

"You like Regulus Black?" Julian asked with a smile. "You would look good together."

"Especially since her last name is white." Nora added.

"My last name isn't white. It's winter."

"Exactly. Winter is white." Nora reasoned.

"No it's not."

"That's why she's not in Ravenclaw." Emily laughed.

"Hey, I would do a great job in any house."

"Yes you would, my dear friend." Julian met his arm around Nora's shoulder and laughed. Nora went bright red.