Clones' Struggle for Legal Recognition

Rine and her fellow leaders of the rebellion stood firm in their mission to grant legal recognition and personhood to the clones. Despite the many rights and protections already granted to them, the clones were still not recognized as legal persons, leaving them without protection under many laws.

"We can't stand idly by while our fellow clones are denied basic human rights," Rine exclaimed, frustration clear in her voice. "We have to keep fighting for legal recognition and personhood for all of us."

Determined to see their mission through, Rine and her team met with lawmakers and legal experts to develop legislation that would grant the clones full legal recognition and protection under the law. However, their efforts were met with resistance from many in the government and society, who were unwilling to grant the clones the same rights and protections as humans.

"We will not back down," Rine declared, her voice strong and unwavering. "We will keep fighting until the clones receive the legal recognition and personhood they deserve."

A few days later, after meeting with legislators and legal experts at every major law enforcement building in the city, a motion was passed declaring a state of emergency, banning the public from entering the areas housing the clones and forbidding them from speaking about what happened the previous night.

For nearly two weeks, Rine, Kip and others gathered in front of the courthouse to speak to legislators and representatives, trying to obtain a passable legal act that would permit the clones to be treated with dignity and respect. In vain, however; every lawmaker either rejected the petition, or turned it down in favor of more legislative demands.

On June 15th, a day before Rine's birthday, Senator Marcus called the rebel leaders into his office, stating that it had come time for him to discuss some important matters regarding the upcoming elections in the senate. As Rine took her seat next to Kip and Ava, the senator announced,

"I'm afraid I have bad news. Your petition to the congress to legalize the clones has been lost due to a series of technical errors in the legislation. I apologize for this news, but there is nothing we can do to help you now. You'll have to start preparing yourselves for your next election, even though you know very well that the vote won't be held for another three months. This is only one problem for your campaign."

"What should we do?" Kip whispered harshly to Rine when she returned from the Senate chamber.

"We'll find a way to fix this," Rine responded calmly.

Three Months Later

After several months of fruitless campaigning and arguing with senators, representatives and citizens alike, Congress finally gave an official answer to the rebels' request to have their application approved. Unfortunately, the results of the referendum were not satisfactory. Not only had the voting failed to result in a clear majority for the clones but the vote was cast by less than 3%. That left the Rebels looking hopelessly ahead, hoping they could get a second shot.

It was the final straw. As Rine sat waiting for another call from the Senate committee, Senator Marcus walked into the room, followed closely by Chief Justice Miller. They were accompanied by President James Vess and Senator Sam Smith, both of whom wore solemn expressions.

The four men took seats around an ornate antique table and looked grim as they awaited the president to begin his presentation. It was clear that they were all worried about the future of the clones.

President Vess opened by saying, "This morning, after discussing the matter thoroughly with the cabinet members, I've decided to appoint a special prosecutor to represent our interests. I'm sure that all of us here understand why that decision must be made and I trust that you will all agree with me.