Epilogue

Epilogue

There was a quick knock on the study door.

“Enter,” Eric called distractedly.

Blake entered in a rush, his voice sounding urgent and out of breath, “My lord, Viktor has returned. He awaits you in the throne room, sire.”

“Thank you, Blake. I shall be down momentarily,” Eric replied without looking up from his map.  

“He hasna returned alone, my lord,” the soldier added nervously.  

Eric glanced up. He saw the paleness of his youngest guard and instantly knew it was not the festivities of the wedding feast the previous night that had caused it. Only one thing could cause such a reaction in an immortal warrior. His map forgotten for the moment, Eric followed Blake out of the study and down to the throne room.

As Eric stepped inside, he pulled up short as he saw Viktor had indeed returned, and he was not alone; behind the seasoned warrior stood a delegation from Nightfall, including their eternal king, Lord Adam Nightborn.

Nightborn had been king of Nightfall since the beginning of their rule, almost as far back as Eric’s first ancestor, Lord Urek, the first immortal king of Wolfgard. He was the oldest being Eric knew of and was not known to leave his keep for any reason. The fact that he’d travelled to Wolfgard was unprecedented – there were no records of the Lord of Vampires having ever done so before.

Lord Adam glided forward on silent feet, “Lord McKenna, congratulations on finding your destined soulmate. I am pleased Wolfgard has found its proper queen during her time of great need.”

Eric inclined his head, “Thank you, Lord Nightborn. Wolfgard has indeed found its rightful queen and shall be stronger for it.”

Lord Adam nodded the slightest bit, “Yes. I believe it shall.”

“Somehow I doona think you have traveled all this way to simply congratulate me on my recent nuptials, Lord of Nightfall.”

The vampire curled his red lips the smallest amount, “You are correct, Lord of Wolfgard. Nightfall has received your message. We are here to pledge our allegiance with the immortal warriors of your clan against our common foe. We will stand with Wolfgard against the Fenrir and the Skoll so long as your warriors stand by Nightfall should we come under attack.”

Eric stared at the vampire’s youthful face and wondered how much death and destruction such a creature had seen over the course of its lifetime.

“More than I care to dwell upon, Lord McKenna.”

Eric started, more than a little surprised Lord Adam had picked up his thoughts so easily. He was no untried youth, but in comparison to the ruler of Nightfall, he might as well have been. He would have to advise his men to make a greater effort to shield their thoughts around the vampires.

Especially since the two clans would be standing as one against the wolves.

Eric’s voice resonated around the room, “Wolfgard will pledge it’s warriors in defense of Nightfall against the Fenrir and the Skoll. You have my word Lord Adam Nightborn of Nightfall. Our allegiance is based on the honor of my house and its people so long as Nightfall accepts such terms.”

Lord Adam Nightborn bowed slightly, “We accept. Your clansmen have the protection of my house from this day forth.”

“So it is done.”

“So it is done.”