Chapter Ten: Rock of Ages

Rock of Ages

Lori’s heart instantly leapt into her throat. She looked from Eric to Aiden, desperately trying to calm the panic that was threatening to choke her. She took a deep breath and managed a nervous laugh. “I’m afraid I’ve brought no instruments with me,” she said lamely.

In the middle of all of her eating and challenging, she’d forgotten everyone expected her to perform. It had slipped her mind entirely and now every morsel of food she’d swallowed was rioting viciously in her stomach, threatening to come back up. She was pretty sure the only performance she’d be putting on was the Linda Blair kind. 

“No worries dear sister, I brought mine.” Desmond grinned and sure enough he whipped out a small guitar-like instrument and began strumming it expertly. It looked like a cross between a Spanish guitar and a violin, almost like an odd mandolin.

She threw him the nastiest glare she could manage while trying not to puke. Where the hell had he been hiding that thing she wondered? He didn’t bother to acknowledge her fury, only kept his ear cocked low to his instrument as he tuned it.

When he was done Desmond turned to Eric, “What shall it be tonight Lord McKenna? A heroic tale of brave warriors and insatiable women?” he stressed the word insatiable so that all the warriors around them laughed and poked one another good-naturedly. Then his voice became low and melodic, adding to the drama of the moment, “Perhaps a poem of mythical beasts and ancient gods is more in order? Or shall it be a song of true love found and tragically lost?” he turned and glanced back to Lori before returning his amber gaze to clan leader, “Or would you have the lady choose?” he asked quietly, eyes twinkling as he knew the answer to that question before he ever asked it.  

Eric looked thoughtful for a moment before giving Lori a look that would’ve melted her into the floor if she hadn’t been so terrified.

“’Tis always the choice of the lady for what she cares to sing,” he replied huskily, “A woman should always choose what best suits her mood or her taste.”

Aiden coughed and the other women in the hall threw Lori knowing smiles. 

Lori gritted her teeth and attempted to smile but feared it was nothing more than a scary grimace. Rising slowly from the table she spoke to Desmond in a sweet voice, “May I have a word with you brother?”

“Of course!” Desmond said jumping to his feet, “Let us discuss and select a worthy piece for our first performance.”

When they’d walked a safe distance out of earshot Lori glared at him, “You jerk! What the hell do I sing to these people?”

“Just pick a poem or a song, princess. Anything you want, I can play it all,” he winked.

“Sorry, I didn’t memorize Beowulf you ass! And it’s not exactly like I can just belt out some Lady Gaga to these people. I can’t even remember the lyrics to Danny Boy for God’s sake,” she hissed ready to strangle him.

"Ok, that last one’s Irish, and these people are more of a highland flavor though not really like our Scots back home…”

“Who gives a shit? The problem here is that I can’t sing Desmond,” she spat out.

“Sure you can.”

“No I can’t.”

Des shook his head like he was trying to talk some sense into a terrified five year old, “You don’t get it Lori. You can sing. Ok, so maybe you’re not exactly winning any American Idol or X Factor competitions back home, but compared to these people you have a voice like an angel. Really. I’m serious. You have no idea how bad these people’s singing is….” He shuddered a little, “C’mon, you got this one Lori. Stop being such a wuss.” He turned and walked back to stand in front of everyone before she could say another word.