Chapter Eight: An Immortal Introduction

An Immortal Introduction  

All the excited buzzing in the room came to a standstill as they made their way towards Lord McKenna’s table. Lori was so mad she wasn’t even registering anything except putting one foot in front of the other.  She was still fuming from the sting of Desmond’s words, made worse because what he’d said about Michael was true.

Her older brother hadn’t been afraid of anything or anybody. Even when their parents had left them, Michael had stepped up and taken care of her without once breaking down. He was a rock. He’d been strong enough for the both of them; getting a job, packing her lunch, sending her to school and picking her up all while still finishing up his last year of high school and getting into college. He’d stubbornly refused to put her in the system, but worked and studied at all hours, barely sleeping just so they’d be together.

And now, here she was, scared over meeting a stupid immortal king in a different reality from her own. Sure, it sounded terrible when she said it to herself, but Michael would’ve laughed and called him just one more self-inflated, egotistical meat-head. He never would have let himself be intimidated - not even here. She was the pathetic one, the weak link in their small family chain. She crushed the onslaught of disappointment that threatened to overtake her – now was not the time for it. 

Lori never saw the looks the men and women gathered around the large hall gave them. It was probably for the best seeing as how so many people staring would’ve made her toss her cookies right then and there. She wasn’t so disconnected that she missed the way all the women in the hall held their breath at the sight of Desmond. He was every bit as gorgeous as the rumors about him claimed – news had travelled fast among the people in the keep. What Lori missed was how the men, every one a warrior of the McKenna clan, were equally silenced by her untamed beauty. Most had never seen a human up close, and no one had expected the pair to arrive at the castle to be quite so stunning. They did not have the lean, angular look of Weres, or the large sturdiness of Immortals, or even the tall, delicacy of the Fae. They held a beauty that was all their own.

It took some time for Lori and Desmond to make their way through the crowd to the main table. When they did, Desmond stepped forward in front of Lori blocking her view as they approached. It wouldn’t have mattered anyway, she’d dropped her eyes the second the table had come into view. She did not want to see anyone up there, though she knew it was only be a matter of time before she had to.

Next to her she felt Desmond bow ever so slightly as he spoke, “Lord McKenna, ruler and champion of castle Wolfgard and the McKenna clan, my sister and I thank you for welcoming us so graciously into your home. We are honored to be your guests for however long you wish to grant us your favor. Our services though humble and of purely artistic quality, are yours for the asking.”

"The honor tonight belongs to clan McKenna and all of Wolfgard,” Eric replied graciously.

At the sound of his voice Lori shivered slightly. The sound was deep and husky, and seemed to stroke something inside her like the most luxurious velvet. She didn’t really want to meet the owner of such a voice even as she knew it was inevitable.   

“Please, allow me to present my sister, Lori.” Stepping aside, Desmond made room for Lori to step forward and face her true love.  

When she didn’t move, he turned around and whispered quickly under his breath. They argued in furious whispers for a few seconds until he lost his patience and nudged her in front of him causing her to stumble. She barely caught herself from falling as a strong arm grasped her elbow and helped her stand. Lori straightened and looked into eyes the color of perfect purple heather.