Chapter Two: The New Exhibit

The New Exhibit

Lori rode the express train uptown in silence, studiously looking nowhere and at no one while Skillet blasted through her cheap ear buds. If the volume bothered any of the commuters around her, no one said anything. She didn't really expect anyone to as most people were too busy listening to their own music this early in the morning.

The thought of heading to work today killed the small ray of light that had blossomed inside her upon feeling the fall air when she'd initally left her apartment. All she really wanted to do was spend one of the last few glorious days of fall hanging around Central park, eating a hot dog and maybe catching a good movie at the two dollar (which was now five!) theater.

But rent was due next week and if she missed another day's pay she'd really be screwed. She would have to work every single waking moment if she was going to pay her bills, while hopefully managing to net a few bucks leftover for a book or two from the Strand. It was always a sad day when she couldn't scrounge up enough loose change to buy a used book from the legendary book retailer.

The garbled voice of the conductor interrupted her dismal thoughts, "Next stop...86th street."

She rose along with a significant portion of other commuters as they all made their way to the train doors. She didn't pay much attention to the people around her, much more focused on her upcoming stop. Perhaps if she'd been more attentive she would have noticed a beautiful, well-tailored man standing among the normal throng of commuters. He looked about as out of place as a Botticelli at a swap meet. As it was, she simply waited for the subway doors to open and effectively pushed her way out against the wave of incoming passengers.

Following the crowd, Lori headed for the nearest exit, emerging outside into the light of day. Once again, she was struck by the crisp feel of such a beautiful fall morning. There really wasn't anything like autumn in New York. There was a certain smell to it that she'd adored for as long as she could remember - it was a cross between warm bread, roasting peanuts, autumn leaves on asphalt, and sunshine reflecting off glass. No matter how bad things got for her, days like today seemed to shine just a little bit brighter.

Lori stopped at the first coffee truck she saw parked at the corner and ordered a large black coffee. She took her time as she sipped the strong brew, enjoying a leisurely pace as she made her way down 86th street. However, instead of heading over to 81st street where she worked, she walked three blocks west to Fifth Avenue, then four blocks down until she was in front of her favorite place in the whole city: the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Standing across the street, the stranger from the train observed Lori in silence. A small smile curved his lips as he sent a silent command to the woman who was next on his list.

It was time for a formal introduction.

* * *

Lori craned her neck and looked at the colorful exhibit banners flapping gently in the autumn breeze. It really was a gorgeous day; it would be such a waste to spend it locked up in a penthouse apartment trying to outwit and outlast two bratty kids that were hell-bent on getting rid of her. So what if she was late? It would just mean the kids had more time to set-up whatever disgusting new trap they'd planned on laying out for her. The day before she'd been egged in the private elevator, which was still better than last week when they'd assaulted her with super-soakers filled with bleach.

What could it hurt to take a minute to look around and enjoy the day before it was totally ruined?

She shook her head, attempting to clear those crazy thoughts from her brain. What on earth was she thinking? She couldn't afford to hang around the museum and be late again. Rent. Food. Electricity. Every single one of those things cost money, and the last time she checked none of those bills could be paid with an IOU.