Chapter Thirty-Six: Decision Time

Decision Time

Lori stood next to her body. It was lying where it had fallen in the forest clearing, a ragged hole in her stomach where Cynn had plunged Randor’s knife still visible. Des stood beside her, appearing out of thin air as per usual.

The scene before her was a little surreal. Eric stood frozen over Randor, his sword impaling the Fenrir captain into the very ground. Aiden was just breaking through the other side of the clearing, while she and Cynn lay on the ground either dead or dying just a few feet away.

She turned back to Des, unable to hide the total disdain in her voice, “God, I always knew you’d be the death of me.”

Des gave her a droll stare, “Ok, first of all I wasn’t the one who stabbed you and secondly, you’re not dead…not yet anyway.”

“Really?” she asked surprised, “I just thought seeing as how I was outside my body that made me pretty dead.”

“You are so melodramatic,” Des rolled his eyes.

"I think having an out-of-body-experience is a good enough reason to be a little melodramatic.”

Des snorted, “Please, you hardly need an excuse. Besides, I already told you, you’re not dead.”

“You keep saying that,” Lori stared at her body doubtfully. “I’m really not dead?”

“Nope,” The corner of Des’s mouth curled up into a secret smile, “I told you already, you’re tougher now…remember?”

She did remember. The archway! As if on cue, the stone structure appeared right behind them, warping the very fabric of reality. The space around the archway rippled like a wave. It looked different now, the runes and glyphs shifting from a deep azure to a rich magenta and back again.

Lori turned back and as she watched, the gaping hole in her stomach closed, her skin slowly knitting itself back together. She stared at Des. He gave her a lazy shrug as he explained, “I told you when you first got here, the archway changed your molecular structure. It’s a little denser, you know, like your brain.”

“But Cynn stabbed me…with a knife covered in the same diamonds hanging in Eric’s throne room.”

Des nodded, “Yeah, she sure did stab you. But you stabbed her right back – right in the old femoral artery too! Good thing you got it at an angle…that was kind of badass.” He raised his hand.

“Yeah, I saw it in a movie once,” she shrugged and gave him a high-five. Lori would’ve expected to feel a little worse about killing Cynn, but not being in her body sort of gave her a laissez-faire attitude about the situation.

“What did you do to her anyway?” Des asked curious.

Lori rolled her eyes, “I was breathing.”

“Yeah, I can sort of see how that could drive someone into a murderous rage.”

“Did you know?” she asked, unable to help herself.

“What that Cynn was crazy or that she was going to try and kill you?”

“Either.”

“Nah…she was half human so that sort of throws off the old crazy detector for me,” he answered.

“Really? Why is that?” she asked more than a little surprised.

“Because you’re all sort of batshit crazy at one point or another…it’s kind of hard to keep track of every single crazy chick I run into.” Des turned and restarted time. Together they watched Eric slice Randor in half before turning and rushing over to her prone body.