19. Sparks

That evening I sat by the lake with Annie, a book on my lap and the sun warming my back. My feet were in the water while she was on her back, looking up at the sky. Her hair blew in the wind, catching on some of the stray strands as it drifted down over her face like a veil. She turned to look at me, smiling softly.

“What are you reading?”

I closed the book with a sigh. “A story about a man who falls for his cousin's wife.”

She nodded thoughtfully. “It sounds like a sad story.”

"Yeah, only that they ended up being together."

She looked at me with a frown. "How is that even possible?"

"It was because they love each other so much." Someone replies from behind us we turned and saw Luke standing there in a blue stripe top and black jeans. I stood up and Annie rushes to meet him.

"I can't believe this, sis. Luke Alan. is this you?"

He smirks. "Yes, I'm sure you're a fan of mine."

"Yes, please sign your autograph on my shirt." Luke brought out a pen and a sign on my sister's shirt.

"I want to talk to your sis, alone would you mind giving us some privacy," he says politely to Annie. She looked at him curiously but followed his order and left without saying anything more.

When she was gone, Luke came closer to me. "I can't believe it. what a coincidence it is for me to meet you here," He says quietly.

"It isn't a coincidence, you followed me here like you always do," I say accusingly. Luke laughs awkwardly, scratching the back of his neck.

"Well, yes, I did. I wanted to talk to you. Things people do these days for love."

I scoff. "Love, the first time I met you, you were disgusted by my presence," I say. He chuckles a little embarrassed.

"Yeah, well. That doesn't matter now, does it? What matters right now is...I just want you to know that meeting you, was one of the best things that ever happened to me."

I smiled shyly at him. "Why am I finding it difficult to accept that?"

He walked closer to me, close enough for me to feel his breath. "Don't ever doubt the sincerity of my words when I say this to you. Love means something to me. And I know that what we were - before - is not important anymore. But what we could have been, and I want you to remember that."

The words were coming out of his mouth almost like a speech.

"Luke..." I say softly, my voice barely audible above the breeze. His fingers touched my cheek and his lips brushed against my temple. "I don't understand what you mean."

"You don't need to," he whispers against my skin. His warm hand cupped my chin and I leaned into the touch. He let go of my chin and place his hands around my waist. The warmth of his body pressed against mine was comforting. We stayed like that, standing next to the lake, holding each other for what felt like hours.

"I love you. Always have, always will," he says quietly.

Author's note.

Thanks for reading this book to the last chapter I feel happy that things turned out the way I planned them. It feels good to see those love birds together. If you agree leave a comment.

Don't forget to share this story with your best friend, family anyone else close to you. Let's spread the love this Christmas.

Who's your favorite in this novel?

What chapter do you find more interesting?

Do you have any few words for me?

Please send me an email at: clarajoelbooks@gmail.com.

Once again, thanks. Please vote. Comment and share.

I love you all.

Merry Christmas and a prosperous new year.