XXIII

Steve's pov

I came over and kneeled in front of Charlotte and Matthew.

I almost lost my son.

Charlotte set her hand on my cheek. "I didn't mean the stuff I said earlier and I'm sorry." She whispered.

"No. You were right." I said.

She sighed and kissed me softly. I wiped my tears and got up.

"He stays with us tonight." I whispered. My voice was groggy.

She nodded. "Steve..."

I stared at her. She gave me a sad stare.

"Come get some sleep." She said.

•••

I stayed up while Charlotte slept beside me. She was so peaceful. Matthew stayed in my arms as I just stared at the ceiling.

I just about killed my son.

I wanted to go talk to Peggy. See why. I knew I did something. I don't know.

I watched as my wife woke with the son. It was time for her to feed Matthew soon. She was on a schedule at this point.

I smiled at her as she yawned. She looked at me, seeing Matthew on my chest.

She leaned into me, kissing my cheek.

"I have an idea. And I...I don't know. Maybe it will work." Charlotte said. I looked down at her.

"Hmm?"

"What if I talk to Peggy first?"

I looked away before looking at her again. "If you think you'll get answers."

She nodded and rested her head on my shoulder. I kissed her head.

I needed Justice for my little boy.

•••

Charlottes pov

I walked into the cells in the basement. Bucky was sitting on duty.

I smiled and motioned him out. Peggy was pacing in her cell.

I grabbed a chair and sat down.

"Hello Peggy." I said. She stared at me.

She was a pretty woman. Dark hair. Nice face structure.

"Alright. I wanna start this off by saying that I'll be civil if you talk. The council meets tonight to see if you serve a jail sentence or be put to death. The more you talk, the easier it will be."

"I was supposed to be his queen." She mumbled. I sat back.

"Steve and I were an arrangement you know that."

"If it wasn't for your brother blabbing his mouth about our one time...he had a ring for me. I didn't feel confident with our relationship but after my night with Tony I realized I wanted Steve. Besides he probably had a mistress I mean he was always upstairs in the castle and not in the chambers next to the guest ones so I just thought he had mistresses."

"Tony did the right thing. He didn't even know about you and Steve. He doesn't have mistresses. That's his wing upstairs. He's an only child." I said. She just gave me a cold stare.

"You don't deserve the throne." She said. "You're young. You're spoiled. You grew up in a nice castle and know nothing about the outside world. You don't even deserve to have had the kings son."

I nodded. "You're absolutely correct Peggy. I don't deserve a second of this life. I don't deserve Steve. I don't deserve Matthew. I know that. But you made the decision to sleep with my brother. If you had made the right choice then maybe you would've been in my shoes. I agree with everything you've said. But that doesn't give you the right to come into my space and take my child away. My son is merely seven months old. I don't think you understand the pressure that is on that boy for this kingdom. And whether you deserve this spot before me...that is my child and you do not take him. You can do anything to me but don't touch my son!"

I backed off. I heard Steve clearing his throat in the corner. Peggy looked over at him.

"How much of that did you-"

"All of it. I'm here to protect my wife Peggy." Steve said as he paced around the room. "And my wife is right. Don't touch her child."

I looked away.

"Peggy you know why I cut things off. You cheated. So if you cheated, if you went behind my back, why would you get the throne."

"I am smart and loyal and I gave the brains to be a good queen and-"

"Peggy who was the first woman I laid with?" Steve asked as he stood behind me, leaning on the chair.

"Me."

"Who was my first love?"

"Me."

"Who cheated on me with my best friend after she knew I had a ring and was going to make her princess of Brooklyn?"

"Me." She whispered.

"So why the fuck are you running your mouth to my wife, insulting her?" Steve spat. I had never heard such hatred in his voice.

"I don't know." She whispered.

"I talked to your father last night with your queen. He was begging me to spare your life. You know charlotte brought this idea up. She wanted to talk to you, not get me involved because all that's in my head is seeing a fucking noose around you neck. She was willing to save you. I'm not. Now you better give me a good reason onto why you kidnapped our prince, or I'll kill you right fucking here."

He was playing with a dagger. I wasn't going to say anything.

"To make your whore as angry as she gets." She spat.

In a second Steve had stabbed her, his hand snaking into the cell to stab into her chest.

She gasped for air. I turned away, feeling sick. Steve called a guard down to clean her up.

I held my stomach. I was shaking from what I just witnessed.

"Go upstairs Charlotte." Steve said.

I did as he said, leaving him to the mess.