XXII

Steve had put Matthew to bed for me. I was sitting in bed, reading.

I smiled as he came in. It had been his first full day back. I was happy to have him.

Steve came in and came over to my side of the bed, shlumping on top of me. I giggled and set my book down.

He sighed and rested his head on my collarbone.

"I've missed you so much." He whispered. I smiled.

"I've missed you too." I whispered, kissing his head. "You need sleep though. I can tell you're tired."

"I wanted to treat you." He whispered.

I smiled sadly as he sat up, and kissed his lips.

"In its own time. Settle in again, get into a routine, and then you can fuck me senseless."

He nodded and laid his head down again. I missed his warmth.

"Matthew goes down so easy."

"Cause I feed him before he goes to sleep." I said.

"Does he only drink milk?" He asked.

"No. The maids make him mushed vegetables and fruits. It looks disgusting." I whispered. He smiled.

"Yet probably so cute." He whispered.

I nodded. My head was on his.

I kissed his head again. He held my waist.

And pretty soon he was asleep.

•••

I heard crying. It was Matthew. I lazily sat up, feeling tired.

I looked over though, and Steve wasn't beside me. He was standing by the door with his shield before opening it.

What?

Something was wrong. That wasn't Matthew's usual scream. That was a scream of terror.

I sat up quickly and ran out behind Steve.

He was in the room. Someone was holding our baby. She was in a cloak.

"Hey!" I screamed.

"Peggy?" Steve whispered. She ran off with our baby.

"What the fuck go get her you stupid shit!" I said as I ran out after her.

I was too tired to think. To react. I didn't know why I was running. I heard matthews scream. I wanted to burst into tears.

Steve came out behind me, handing me the shield as I ran before speeding up. He was a lot faster.

Why was someone taking our child.

Why'd Steve know her.

I ran as fast as I could, but she had mounted a horse. Steve was panting. I threw his shield off and continued running.

"NO! That's my child give him back! YOU LET HIM GO!" I screamed. Steve caught up to me and stopped me, making me trip in the grass.

I was sobbing.

I got up quickly and ran back into the palace. I put on a dress and a cloak as Steve came in, panting.

I was shaking. I put on my shoes.

"Charlotte."

"NO! Don't you fucking speak to me. You were gone for months. I took care of Matthew so you can say nothing! Now who the fuck was it?"

"It was Peggy. I saw the face." Steve said. He touched my arm, but I shrugged him off, still sobbing.

I grabbed my dagger and stuffed it in my dress. Steve came over and stopped me.

"You don't even know where she is." Steve said.

"Why are you so fucking calm?!" I screamed.

"Hey! You are going insane. I'm not calm. But I'm just trying to be for you. I'm sorry I haven't been here. We will get Matthew back right now." He said. I moved to hug him.

"I'm sorry." I sobbed. He hugged me tight.

"We need to go."

•••

Steve and I rode off. He knew where to go in the kingdom. I mean he was with her for a very long time.

I unmounted from my horse as I got to the little grove. It was at the edge of the kingdom.

Steve walked with me. We walked inside the gates, and immediately Peggy was talking to a maid. The maid had my baby.

I ran over and grabbed Matthew. He wasn't hurt. He looked fine. He was screaming until he got into my arms. He immediately relaxed.

I looked at Peggy with hatred. She looked at Steve.

"How did you-"

"Bucky! Bring everyone in!" Steve yelled. The avengers all walked in.

I stared at Matthew. He was so tired. He looked traumatized.

"Peggy you're under arrest by the kingdom." Steve said.

"But I-"

"Trespassing, kidnapping, and all in the castle. You're going to be lucky if the council allows you to stay alive." He said. "Now I need someone to go find your father."

•••

The avengers took Peggy to the cells. Steve was talking with Mr Carter. I stayed with him.

"I don't know why she would do this. It's not like words not out that the Prince is here." Mr Carter said. Matthew was asleep in my arms.

Steve sighed. "She's in our cells. Our council will decide on her." Steve said.

I was in that said council and so help me god-

"I know you're in that council Steven. You're a good man. She deserves a punishment and I accept that but please don't kill my only child."

He sighed. "I am only one man sir."

He nodded. "Well. I'll let you both go home." He said. We both nodded.

Steve led me out of the house and to my horse. I mounted on, moving Matthew to be wrapped in my cloak.

Steve and I rode back to the castle. I went straight to our room. Matthew was still alright. He was still sleeping.

I checked him for scratches and marks. Steve took off my cloak as I did.

Matthew stirred. I picked him up. He whimpered a little.

"Are you hungry? Cold? Yeah?"

I sat dish with him on the bed. I looked up to see Steve just staring.  I didn't know why.

But he was crying.