24.

ONE WEEK LATER

the court date was set up for tomorrow and i was extremely nervous.

according to the internet, my opinion would influence the whole trial and i would choose to stay with michael.

i looked in my closet for a appropriate outfit and pulled out a cute white blouse and a longer pencil skirt with a pair of black heels.

i set it out on my dresser and laid in bed.

michael knocked on the door and came in.

"no nerves. tomorrow will go how tomorrow goes." he spoke softly.

"i know. i'm sorry you have to go through this." i mumbled.

"don't apologize! i'm happy i get to go through this and help you. i'm a doctor after all. most importantly, i love you and i love your mother. so this is all worth the fight to me." michael smiled softly.

i nodded in response before laying down in bed.

"i'll see you tomorrow. what time do we have to leave?" i asked him softly.

"around 8 am. the hearing is at 8:30." michael grumbled as he leaned against the doorframe.

i nodded again before thanking him. he left the room without another word.

i fell asleep shortly after and woke up to my alarm blaring at 7 am.

i quickly hopped up and went into the shower. i finished in the shower and braided my hair and put on light makeup before changing into the clothes i laid out yesterday.

i walked downstairs to see michael waiting.

"don't you look adorable." he commented as he stared at me.

"ew. i'm not 5." i spoke with an eye roll.

"you act like that." ashton remarked as he pushed past me.

"says the man who wouldn't give me a chance to drive without screaming at least once." i muttered.

"oh honey, you don't want to start that type of word battle with me." ashton spoke with a sly glare.

"he's right. never start a word battle with ashton. he always has some way to criticize you that you never even knew about." luke spoke stiffly as he came down.

"wouldn't you be familiar with that luke." ashton smirked.

"trust me i am." luke replied as he grabbed an apple.

as soon as calum came downstairs, we headed over to the court house where we were all soon seated and the trial was ready to begin.

"all rise for the judge."

we all stood up as the judge walked in the room.

"you may all be seated. my name is judge mary. the case of charlotte's living situation has now begun." she spoke as she sat down.

michael and i were sitting in the chairs up front and dad was sitting on the opposite side.

the boys were sitting behind us nervously waiting to hear the decision.

"so, before we even start this, who do you want to live with honey?" the judge mary asked quickly.

"i don't think- "sir i didn't ask you the question." the judge spoke interrupting dad mid comment.

"i would like to live with michael your honor." i replied firmly.

"could i ask why?" she asked.

"i trust him. i know him. i don't know this man. he may be my father by blood, but michael's been more of a father figure than he ever has." i replied.

she nodded slowly, "is there any legal reason as to why she shouldn't be in mr. clifford's care?"

"well, she's not his bio daughter. he is mr. mcleave is her bio father. why should we separate the two?" the lawyer spoke swiftly.

"who has her legal documents?" the judge asked.

"i do your honor. her mother, bailey mitchelson, gave me the documents before she left to receive treatment." michael replied.

"i see. mr. mcleave why are you fighting for your daughter now? why not fight when she was younger for split custody?" the judge asked.

"i didn't know i wanted a daughter then, but i do now." dad replied firmly.

after a few more points were made on either side, the judge stood up.

"i see. well, let's have a 10 minute recess, then i'll make the decision." she spoke with a firm expression as she left the room.

those 10 minutes were like torture for me. i never felt more nervous in my entire life.

"everyone rise for the judge."

we all stood up and michael and i held hands as we nervously sat back down.

"i've come to a decision. charlotte will be living under-