chapter seventeen

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND

i walked through the airport, it was unusually quiet. i hated it when it was quiet. if it's busy i feel like a minority, one unnoticed life in a sea full of others.

i didn't matter, i wasn't the girl crying while walking through baggage claim, i was another person going from a to b. but when it's quiet, people notice you.

the looks of sympathy, judgment, even annoyance.

"elle!" i looked up from the floor, running over to my best friend. "hey, what's up?" he wiped a tear from my cheek and i shook my head.

i'll be the first to admit i'd been a pretty shitty friend recently, but he'd always been there for me. even when he shouldn't have been, and this moment was just like the rest.

him being too good for me and my broken little life.

"i haven't heard from you in three months so it must be pretty bad." he chuckled, trying to make me feel better, which only made me feel worse.

"i'm so sorry." i whispered as he wrapped his arms around me. "i should've just gotten a taxi, i shouldn't have woke you up." i rambled as his grip got tighter.

"hey, hey. stop it. no matter what, we're always there for each other right?" he pulled away and i nodded, he grabbed my bag and we walked outside.

"noelle! is neymars latest post about you?"

"are you and neymar over?"

"what do you think of neymar shaming you on instagram?"

"how was paris? are you and neymar still together?"

i was stunned by the paparazzi shouting and the cameras flashing in my face, jj covering me with his jacket as he got me inside of his car.

"how did they know i was here?" i put my head on the dashboard as jj sped off, focusing on the road.

"blood-suckers.." he groaned, his knuckles turning white as he held onto the steering wheel. "so.. you going to tell me what happened?"

i looked up at him and sighed. "in the morning?" i asked and he nodded, not pushing me on the subject anymore.

i opened my phone and immediately went onto neymars instagram, tapping on his story which was off me in his jersey i was still wearing, and i couldn't bear to take it off just yet. as i swiped off the story a sad smile resided on my face.

we were those people just hours ago.

i clicked on his next post, chuckling slightly as i read it. "men.." i said in disbelief, my heart ached but i felt as if i couldn't cry anymore, jj looked over at me as i shook my head and laughed out.

instagram