(31) Hospital

"Thomas is in the hospital," Polly says as Alex opens her door.

"Why?"

"My guess is that Sabini decided he wanted a holiday in Birmingham," Polly responds.

"Shit, let me get dressed, come in," Alex says.

Polly wasn't even the slightest bit surprised to see Amari in the kitchen, making cups of tea.

"Would you like one, Polly?" Amari asks.

"Call me Pol, everybody else does," Polly replies, "and yes please."

"Where's Alex?" Amari queries.

"Getting dressed, we've got to get to the hospital," Polly responds.

"Hospital?" Amari repeats, placing a cup of tea down in front of Polly.

"Tommy got attacked last night, I got a call from Moss this morning," Polly informs.

"Poor man, will he be okay?" Amari asks.

"Well he's breathing, so that's a good thing," Polly replies, taking a sip from the cup, "this is really good."

"It's my fathers recipe," Amari states, as Alex walks into the room, Polly standing up to straighten her tie.

"Thanks, Pol," Alex says, "have you seen Tommy? Did he say the explicit reason Sabini came to Birmingham?"

"I haven't seen him, I came here after Moss called... I'm assuming it's because you showed up in his club unannounced," Polly responds, "why? What happened in London?"

"Nothing, nothing," Alex says, clearing her throat.

"You've never been good at lying to me, Lexi, what happened?" Polly demands.

Alex glances at Amari, who places a hand on her shoulder, "it's okay, Lex, tell us."

"There was a Hungarian soldier there that I recognised," Alex states, "there was a fight and I'm pretty sure I killed him, I don't know how close he was to Sabini-"

"It's not your fault," Polly says, "the condition Tommy is in, is not your fault, Lex, of course he was going to retaliate to you showing up in London."

"Would it have been to the same extent?" Alex asks.

"Don't blame yourself for this," Polly replies.

"I couldn't control myself, Pol, I don't know whether I killed him or not, Arthur and John had to drag me out of the club," Alex says, "but I damn well know that Sabinis reaction would have magnified due to the condition one of his men was left in."

"What you did isn't the catalyst for his reaction, Alex," Amari assures, "I don't know much about Sabini, but from what I've heard, he has a reactive temper, you mustn't blame yourself for this, as Polly said, it's not your fault."

The phone that Alex had recently had installed in the kitchen starts ringing, "hello?"

"Alex," Ada breathes out.

"Ada? What's wrong?" Alex asks.

"Nothing, nothing, I just wanted to make sure you were alright?" Ada responds.

"Yeah, I'm fine, are you sure nothings wrong?" Alex inquires.

"I had a visit from some Italians last night," Ada says, "but I'm fine, Lex, I promise. I just called to make sure everything was okay in Birmingham."

"Tom is in the hospital," Alex states, "he got a visit from the Italians too."

"Will he be okay?" Ada asks.