(6) Lewis the Kleptomaniac

"The cops told everyone Arthur had agreed to it when he was arrested," Polly states, "they said the Peaky Blinders had cleared out to the fair to let them conduct the raid."

"I never said anything to that copper about smashing up bloody houses," Arthur responds, as John hands him a pint of ale.

"Which pubs did they do?" Tommy asks.

"The Guns, the Chain, the Marquis, all the ones that pay you to protect them, the only one they didn't touch was the Garrison," Polly informs, "make sure people think we were in on it, he's smart this copper."

Polly lights herself a cigarette, looking around the room of men who were all stood still, "well, go on, drink your beers, get out, show people you're still the cocks of the walk."

"Hand out some cash to the landlords of the pub," Tommy instructs, "and pay some veterans to fix the places up."

Once everyone had cleared out, Polly shuts the doors so it was Alex and Tommy left with her in the kitchen.

"So we all know what they were looking for," Polly states, "he's not going to rest until he gets those guns back."

"Did he talk to you, Pol?" Alex asks, taking a sip from her drink.

"In the church," Polly nods, "it's fine, Lexi."

"What did he do?"

"Nothing," Polly states.

"You're lying to me, Pol, why are you lying to me?" Alex questions.

"It's better for you to leave it, he told me what happened the other night, so for all our sakes, drop it," Polly responds firmly.

"What happened the other night?" Tommy inquires, looking between the two women.

"Don't you worry about that, I'll deal with it," Polly says, knowing if she told Tommy what Alex had done the other night it would only ignite an argument she really couldn't be bothered to put out right now.

Tommy would be harsh on Alex, even though she only had the best intention. Polly would speak to her.

"Did he try to find Ada?" Tommy asks, unwillingly dropping the subject.

"She was sleeping," Polly responds.

Tommy sighs, "where was she sleeping, Pol?"

"He knows you're the boss, he wants to speak with you," Polly states, ignoring his question, "will you talk to him?"

"No," Tommy shakes his head, "you don't parlay when you're on the back foot."

-

"I'm not going to tell anyone about your little meeting with Campbell," Polly states as the two women settle down on the settee in Alexandria's apartment, "so long as you don't do it again, Tommy told you it was being dealt with. You can't ignore him because you feel like it."

"I didn't ignore him, I listen, processed it and thought he was spewing utter shit," Alex shrugs.

"It's not a personal vendetta," Polly sighs, "your actions will influence his reaction to the rest of the family."

"What did he do in the church, Pol?" Alex responds.

"Lex, if I tell you, you can't do anything about it, this entire situation is being dealt with," Polly states.

"I won't," Alex promises.

"As I said, it wasn't much, he just questioned me about the whereabouts of the guns, and then may have pushed me against the wall of the alter," Polly says.