(28) No job

"Who did it?" Amari asks.

"We're not too sure, Tommy thinks it's the Irish," Alex responds.

"What am I meant to do?" Amari sighs, starting to hyperventilate, "I don't have a job- I need a job, my dad doesn't earn enough to pay the rent for the new house."

"Mar, breathe for me," Alex says, crouching in front of her, taking her hand and placing it on her chest, "follow the rhythm of my heart, deep breathes. It's going to be okay."

"We're going to be homeless," Amari replies.

"You're not going to be homeless," Alex assures, "relax, and then we can think of a solution."

"You're going to walk down the street and wave at me as I'm living in a box," Amari says, making Alex laugh softly.

"It's not funny, Lex," Amari states.

"You're not going to be living in a box on the street, nor are you going to be homeless," Alex replies, kissing her forehead, "look, you're still going to get your wages, just because you're not working doesn't mean you won't be paid. It's in your contract, if the circumstances that render you incapable to work aren't your fault, then the time off is paid."

"Really?" Amari queries.

"You didn't read your contract?" Alex asks, and Amari looks at her sadly, "I can't read, Lex, I know words but I can't read, I thought you'd realised when you asked me to grab that bottle and I was searching cluelessly for it."

"I just thought you couldn't find it," Alex replies.

"I couldn't... because I can't read, I'm stupid," Amari says.

"You are not stupid, Mar," Alex states, "just because you can't read it doesn't mean you're stupid, you are exceptionally clever."

"You think so?"

"I know so... complete transparency, remember?" Alex says, as Amari offers her a small smile, "you laughed, I've never heard you laugh."

"I don't have to put up any walls around you," Alex shrugs, "and I don't want to."

-

"Hello, is now a good time?" Alex asks, showing up on Amari's doorstep.

"I've got the girls round, is everything okay?" Amari responds.

"I'm fine, just wanted to see if you were doing anything tonight," Alex says.

"Just because I'm with friends, doesn't mean that we can't hangout, come in," Amari insists.

"Are you sure? They're your friends, I don't want to impose," Alex replies.

"You're not imposing, I want you here, Alex, I'll always want you around," Amari says, taking her hand and softly tugging her into the house, smiling as she leans up to brush their lips together.

"Ladies, you remember Alex," Amari says as they enter the living room.

"How could we forget?" Anya teases, nudging Dotty and winking at Alex.

-

"Hey, what's wrong?" Alex asks, following Amari into the kitchen, leaning on the doorway.

"Dottys comment earlier, it's just gone to my head slightly," Amari admits, "I don't want it to, and I hate that it's making me jealous, she is gorgeous and you obviously must have thought so at some point."

Alex pushes herself off the doorway, stepping closer to Amari, tilting her head up, "you have absolutely nothing to be jealous of, Mar, you are the most breathtaking, beautiful woman I have ever laid my eyes on, I am yours, you said so yourself."