Chapter 5

He starts laughing at me, and is still laughing as the others show up, I wave them over to our booth and shove at Jackson to make him shut up. "Hey guys, I didn't know until like two minutes ago that you were joining us."

     Jessie pauses before sitting down, "Do you want us to leave?" He looks uncomfortable now.

     "Oh God no, I'm sorry and now this is uncomfortable. Just sit down, I'm glad you two could join us."

     Ellroy doesn't seem phased at all he just grins, "Don't feel special we do this once a month or more. Where is Harold?"

     Jackson rolls his eyes, "In an early meeting. So lame. Alright what are we ordering?"

     We scan our menus, and my eyes can't help drifting to each of the guys. They are so handsome, why are they okay with just accepting someone like me as their friend? Is this normal for them?

     "Layla, what are you having?" Ellroy adds an extra drawl which I didn't know was even possible.

     "Um, a beligum waffle with strawberries. And coffee! I can't wait till my shop is open, I might be my own biggest customer."

     They laugh and I cringe, why did I say that out loud. Jackson tugs on my ponytail, "Relax. No one is judging you here."

     His blue gray eyes melt me, "Okay." I whisper.

     We place our orders and the waiter brings coffee. "What kind of toys will be in your shop?" Jessie asks, his smooth deep voice makes me suddenly wish we were in my bedroom.

     I shake my head slightly, oh god Layla don't do that to yourself, he'd never actually be interested. "Uh, sorry, toys. Lots of puzzles, brain games, stuffed animals, barbies, kind of a little of everything. I figured after a few months I'll know what my customers like and be able to provide the best selections."

     Ellroy pouts, "I really was hoping there would be sex toys."

     My hand flies to my mouth to cover my laugh, "Yeah not those kinds of toys. The only thing for adults is coffee. Well that's not true, the puzzles and brain games are fun."

     "We'll be there opening day, and if you need help just let us, or Jackson know. He already told us about setting up your house furniture, just provide us a little beer and burgers." Jessie says.

     I laugh, "That sounds perfect. Hopefully there won't be anything too heavy in the shop."

     "What about your work Ellroy?"

     "I'll have to go back after breakfast, we're working on the inside of this new house today, it's a whole new development that we're working on. Not my favorite thing to do but work is work."

     I turn to Jessie, "Jackson mentioned you have motocross obstacles, do you have to have any four wheelers?"

     He laughs, "Yeah, we have a couple. Do you want to go sometime? We also have horses."

     I grimace, "I think I'm too big for horses."

     "Stop right there, you are perfect. And my big ass is nearly three hundred pounds."

     "Of muscle." I mutter.

     He smirks, "I ride and I'm not too big, don't ever doubt yourself like that. I won't have it. You are absolutely beautiful."

     I put my hands up, "Sorry, I just get a lot of shit, especially from guys about not being a size three. Most of my previous boyfriends said I was on a bucket list they just wanted to check a box."

     "Who were they?" Jackson says growling.

     "Ew," Ellroy says wrinkling his nose, "Who wants to date a twig? From now on you won't be dating any kind of men like that. They have to get past us first." He places his hand on mine.

     I blush, our food arrives. We eat and banter. I feel completely at home, more than I ever did well at home. I wonder if Ellroy really doesn't like twiggy women or if he was just saying that to be nice. Either way it boosts my confidence.

     "Thank you for the great company during breakfast," I tell them as I quickly snatch the bill. Jessie pouts but I shake my head, "It's my turn to pay." I giggle. We all head out, Jackson slips in hand into mine.

     I tug him with my to go pay. "Thanks for being okay with them being with us, we're just so used to always being together." He tries to explain.

     We're waiting in line to pay, "Must be a little weird for girlfriends." I comment.

     "Sometimes, none of us are dating. I've been single for a year."

     I blink shocked, "Why? You're so hot!" I cover my mouth but he just grins.

     I as I pay I know my face is beet red. As we walk to our cars, he sing songs, "You think I'm hot? What about the other guys?"

     I'm even redder, "Yes they are Jessie's voice is just so dreamy." I admit, "I've been meaning to ask..."

     "Yeah?" He leans in.

     "Are you into men?" I blurt.

     He chokes a laugh, "Um, okay I have fooled around with a few guys, but I prefer women. I cannot believe you asked me that." He shakes his head at me, "And here I thought you were too innocent for such impure thoughts."

     I roll my eyes, "You are just so carefree, I had to ask." I pout.

     He shocks me by kissing me on the lips, it's isn't invasive, or pushing just a matter of fact. "Sorry your mouth is so cute when you pout. I should be heading to work now, will you stop in later?"

     I blink still shocked, "What did that kiss mean?"

     He smirks, "It could mean nothing. I guess you'll have to come by later and find out." He gets in his car still smirking, and leaves me gaping like a fish.