Chapter 8 - Happy thoughts.

I feared to go inside because I know I’d be bombarded with questions. Amber’s tenacious nature would take over. I closed the door quietly, but when I turn around, she’s already standing in font of me. Arms folded over her chest, gaze focused on me, foot tapping rhythmically. Almost looking every bit of a mother. It’s like I’ve been caught sneaking out and I’m facing confrontation. Shit.

It wasn’t until now that I realize I’m holding my breath.

“So, what did you and Mr Malik get up to Miss Greene?” She’s teasing me as well. I roll my eyes as I brush past her.

“Tell me! Please!”

“We didn’t do anything.” I mutter as I make my way into the kitchen.

Our flat wasn’t the best thing in the world, but we loved living here. it was spacious for a two bedroom house. The kitchen was rather small. But it was perfect for me; being the only one to be able to cook for both Amber and I.

“Oh come on. When I came in, it looks like you two were about to kiss!”

“Well we didn’t.” I shrugged my shoulders.

I was thankful that she couldn’t see my face. She would have easily seen through my Lie. I finally stopped to face her. Amber frowns at me as if I stolen one of her cookies. She lean’s on the kitchen counter and raised an eyebrow. I know that look. She’s on to me.

To get away from the venomous stare of forcing me to explain the truth, I got myself a drink of water from the faucet as she continued to talk. Just breathe Re.

“I don’t believe you. Are you going to see him again?”

“No.” I placed my cup in the sink and looked at her. Hopefully the water calms me down. I’m still overwhelmed by that damn kiss.

“Why not? He looks interested.” She tilts her head when I look at her.

“No.”

“Re!” Amber argues.

“No!” I shook my head and stubbornly made my way up stairs, ignoring her nagging voice behind me.

I closed the door of my bedroom and pressed my back to the cool surface. A breath escaped out of my mouth as I see his black jacket still on my bed. The earlier events come whirling in my head. He kissed me. And it’s the first time I didn’t retaliate against someone.

I glance longingly at my guitar that holds memories of the night that ended my innocence. I swallow hard and manage to hear my phone vibrating on my draw where I left it. Frowning, I pick up the phone and press it to my ear. Fuck I forgot to call Ted.

“Hello?” Please don’t be Ted, please don’t be Ted!

“Victoria, you really need to greet with your name.” My mind reels to a stop.

Zayn.

I find myself biting my lip and I’m happy he can’t see me. My pulse has risen and my knees are slightly tingling. Making my way to the bed, I lay down to try and compose myself. He’s called me.

“Sorry, It’s a habit.” I mumble timidly, trying to hide a smile as I look up at the ceiling. What does he want? Wait, why am i smiling? Amber strolls in, her eyes assessing me coolly. She leans on the wall for a few seconds and sits next to me, raising an eyebrow. Now I feel more on edge.

“Old habits die hard.” Zayn’s voice pulls me back to the phone line. I can almost hear a smirk but it’s probably my imagination.

Amber pulls the phone off me and puts it on speaker phone. My hand hits her leg as his voice sounds out of the phone. She beams a huge smile as she looks at me suspiciously. She know’s exactly who I’m talking too.