Chapter 1 - first impressions.

This couldn't have gone any other way.

I spent my whole morning running around for my roommate Amber, instead of taking in consideration that I’d be late. I even managed to get out of the house in time to miss rush hour. I was obviously wrong. Of course I’d be stuck in traffic.

I drum my fingers on my steering wheel, feeling the stress pick up on me as the time continues to flee further and further. Traffic was heavy and I was late. Late as, usual. Sometimes I don't even understand why I took this job. I’m more than capable to apply for an intern job in London, but living in Bradford, you can't help but find small jobs like this.

I arrive to work a few moments later. My awareness of the time that had already past faster than I anticpated is at the back of my mind when I park my car in the usual spot, at the side of the cafe building.

Pulling my apron on while walking towards the building, I open the door, hastily making my way to the back of the cafe. My entrance consists on avoiding customers and the gaze from my god awful boss as I slide my side fringe, slightly across my face, hoping it disguise's me.

"Re!" 

I flinch and forced my eyes closed as I stop dead in my tracks and huff to myself. I hear the arrogance of his feet, walking; stomping towards me.

I was so close to the back. A customer gave me a sympathetic look as I smiled in pity. Great, even the customer feels sorry for me.

"Morning, Ted." I mumbled, rolling my eyes then finally turning my gaze on him.

I pull a smile as if I loved waking up at six thirty in the morning every day. I purposely put myself through the painful process of waking up in early hours of the morning, just to miss rush hour to get to work early.

"You're late!" He stated the obvious. "Again!" 

Here comes the next protest.

If it wasn't for his permanent scowl, he'd actually be attractive. But that's now the case.

The permanent death stare ruined his beautiful smile. Twenty one year old with an attiude of a boss that’s been working for over 40 years of his life. Who would have thought we were the same age, or even imagine us to even be friends. 

His maturity level was as if he looked down at me. Sometimes there would be days where he was nice, and approachable, but not today. We were friends once, but his bossy tendencies began to build up on me and well, you know the rest. The confrontation I had with him wasn't really anticipated and he hated surprises when I gave him a piece of my mind.

"I know I'm late.” I begin. “But traffic was super heavy. I'm sorr-" 

He shook his head, stopping me mid sentence as I explained my usual excuse.

"That's not an excuse Re." I shifted my weight on the other leg, putting my hand on my hip.

My frustration begins when I resist the urge to roll my eyes.

"You're closing down tonight." He finally says.

"What?!" Patience no longer existed in me. "But I finish early today."

"Well maybe it'll stop you from coming in late next time." He smiles at me, though it doesn't touch his eyes at all. 

My eyes reach the high heavens as he makes his way back behind the counter. I follow behind and almost step into him as he turns around. He frowns momentarily before composing himself.

"Just a reminder, we’re closing at eight tonight, not five." Just before he moved away, he turned back again. "Why don't you serve Graham. He's been waiting because of you." Ted winks at me and I roll my eyes.

Well fuck you, too.

I grab the coffee jug from behind the coffee machine and knowing it’s all ready, I make my way over to him at the front of the window. He is always here, everyday, happy and never in a dull mood. I sigh as I put on a smile that’s convincing enough for him to believe. He always cheered me up, because he knew how much I don’t enjoy Ted’s bossy tendencies towards me.