Chapter 21

SONG(s) FOR CHAPTER:

♬ A Thousand Years by Christina Perri ♬

♬ You're Something Beautiful by Bridgit Mendler ♬

CHAPTER 21

❀ GRACE WALKER ❀

"DO YOU THINK he'll be okay by himself?" asked Jacob nervously, sitting on the couch fidgeting his thumbs. After leaving the hospital, I had come back with Jacob to his and Harry's apartment they recently bought since the hotel kicked them out. Jacob hadn't wanted to be alone and I couldn't blame him.

"I think so," I said with a small nod. "Hopefully he'll get some sleep."

I pulled my bottom lip between my teeth, my back against the couch and my butt on the floor. I had paced for a while when we left, and sitting on something so comfortable just felt odd. I couldn't describe the feeling to Jacob, but he was used to my strangeness, and hadn't pried excessively.

"What are you doing?"

Snapping out of a daze, it was then I realized my hand was cramping from the past hour of drawing. Yes, the habit had knocked into me like a ton of bricks when we left the hospital. I was aching to keep myself busy, and I just so happened to miss this little tradition. I hadn't sketched it so long, I was a bit rusty at first. But I had to admit it was coming out better than I first planned.

"A drawing," I answered simply.

"Thanks Captain Obvious." Jacob rolled his eyes, trying to peer over my shoulder but I angled it away from him.

"No, sir. No peeks."

He poked his bottom lip out. "But why?"

"Because Harry has to be the first one to see it," I explained with a slight blush on my cheeks. Would he even like it? He used to love my drawings, but what if they were too cheesy now?

"Oh, I see. I guess hoes come before bros after all."

I gave him a look before laughing to myself, shaking my head.

"Can I at least get an idea of what you're drawing?" he persisted.

I smiled some, shrugging to myself. I picked up my phone and unlocked it from where it fell asleep, scrolling down to the picture I chose. "This is the first picture we ever took together," I told him, passing the mobile device to his anxious hands. "And I guess I just felt... the need to draw it, you know?"

Jacob grinned. "Who knew clichés could still be so... meaningful."

"Gee, thanks."

"Hey, it was a compliment."

He handed me back my phone before flipping on the television, skimming channels. I focused my mind back on the project at hand, touching up a few stray pencil marks and adding a bit more. I blew a strand of hair out of my face just when the news anchor on the screen drew my eyes back off the notebook.

Jacob groaned before I had the chance to. "Why do they always have to start things that don't concern them? They're saying he had a 'mental breakdown' when all they say was me carrying him into the hospital." He thought for a moment and then huffed in annoyance. Whether at himself or the screen, I couldn't tell. But he kept rambling. "I mean, so yeah. He did have a mental breakdown but... that's not the point. The point is these people reek of desperation and it's intolerable!"

He changed the channel, his fingers angrily jabbing at the buttons. I almost laughed at his outburst if it weren't for the fact that he was absolutely right. They were blowing the situation way out of proportion merely because they could. Because they knew the money would rake in from increased views. As much as people try to deny it, money really does talk.