Chapter 19

SONG(s) FOR CHAPTER:

♬ Iris by Goo Goo Dolls ♬

♬ Tomorrow Never Dies by 5 Seconds of Summer ♬

CHAPTER 19

❀ GRACE WALKER ❀

I WAS STILL stuck in awe at the fight that had just ended when Evan and Frank jumped up to cheer together. I would've thought the scene of them bonding over something after last night was miraculous-beautiful, even.

But no one else was still watching the television like I was. The camera that followed Harry as he gaped down at the man on the ring floor. His eyes were filled with a terror I'd never seen in him. You could just barely make out Jacob and Josh beside him, trying to pull him along. He won, after all. There was no reason for him to still be standing there.

The camera also caught Harry walking up to the man now on the gurney afterwards, looking to be rambling and sweat was visible on his forehead, even through the screen. But his opponent had laughed and waved him away, looking as if they were best friends rather than enemies by default.

When the commercial came on, I was still in a bit of a daze. I couldn't get over how... angry Harry appeared while fighting. And yes, I understood that that was the concept of the conference, but it still seemed off to me somehow.

Frank made a comment about how Evan and him should watch another match together, and get to know each other like they should have before. Evan looked like he could've cried, but obviously didn't. He glanced over to me, a bright smile on his face that I couldn't resist but to give a small smile in return.

"Your boyfriend," Frank said, pointing at me with his own grin, "a true champion."

"I've never seen anyone get knocked out so fast," Evan rambled. "And did you see how Harry took that punch like it was a slap?"

Frank was nodding ecstatically and I excused myself, heading to the bathroom. Still, the hype of violence was beyond my knowledge. Of course I was proud of him, but...

That's when my phone rang, while I was in the middle of walking up the stairs. I pulled it out my back pocket, noticed Jacob's caller ID, and clicked talk.

"Hello?"

He was breathing so rapidly and uneven, he must've been crying. "Oh my God-oh my God. Grace, you need to... you need..."

"Jacob, what is it?" I was worried now. My voice must have gave me away because Frank and Evan had stopped their cheering to stare at me.

"It's Harry," Jacob cried. "I don't know why he did it but-"

"What did he do?" I hated to sound pushy when Jacob was clearly a mess, but I needed answers if I were to be beneficial.

"He stepped in front of a car, Grace!" he shouted, as if mad at me but it was clear he was merely frantic.

Jaw falling agape, heart freezing in place, I already feel a lump in my throat. Thankfully, Jacob continued before I could muster any words to leave my lips.

"He's alive and they're taking him to the hospital but... it looked like he did it on purpose, and I don't know why, and I'm scared, and I'm mad because he's putting me through this crap, and-"

"Jacob, Jacob, breathe." But I was choking up myself, already scurrying up the stairs to grab my suitcase. "I'm coming, okay?" I sounded a lot calmer than I felt.

"God, Grace-" he sounded so pitiful, I ached for him and me simultaneously "-please hurry up."

I didn't bother hanging up the phone, just tossed it onto the bed so I could shove the few clothes strewn on the floor back into the suitcase. I fumbled to zip it up, my hands shaking. A million thoughts ran through my mind at once and the air seemed thinner.