Chapter 12

(again, four songs because of a switch in POV—and I just love all four of these so much for this chapter)

SONG(s) FOR CHAPTER:

♬ Your Guardian Angel by Red Jumpsuit Apparatus ♬

♬ Fall For You by Secondhand Serenade ♬

♬ The Reason by Hoobastank ♬

♬ Hanging By A Moment by Lifehouse ♬

CHAPTER 12

❀ GRACE WALKER ❀

DINNER HAD BEEN exceptionally awkward that night. Even though we went out to eat as a group (meaning Brady, Ivette, Audrey, Dylan, Evan and I), it still felt as if it were just me and him. I could feel his eyes even when I was looking in the totally opposite direction.

And he hadn't spoken to me since we left the locker rooms. I hadn't spoken to any of them much, either. Jacob had gone back in the room with a look my way, but I figured he'd squeeze information out of Harry. Ivette had asked me if he was alright, along with Brady, and it was easy enough to say he was.

At least, I hoped he was. We hadn't left on an injured foot again, so I took that as a sign that he would be alright.

Not to mention I could still feel the ghost of his lips, and he no doubt could feel mine.

We ate at a simple burger place, where I had gotten chicken tenders and Brady had teased me about still not venturing out. I had yet to break the habit of trying something different when chicken tenders was so blatant on the menu, practically taunting me.

Evan sat next to me, though it was kind of forced. It was the only seat left and everyone else was already indulged in conversations. I didn't want us to be on weird grounds just because of my... complicated relationship with Harry.

"Are you okay?" I asked stupidly—it was obvious he wasn't.

But he tried to smile anyways. "Yeah, I'm fine. Are you okay?"

I nodded, breaking a piece of chicken off and taking a bite. After I swallowed, I pressed the conversation further. "Are you mad at me?"

He actually laughed then. "Why would I be mad at you, Grace?"

Shrugging sheepishly, I picked at my fries. "Because I didn't tell you I knew Harry, I guess."

"I kind of figured," he said. "When you asked if I could give him a ride to his hotel the night of the concert. I just didn't think..." He pursed his lips, eyebrows pulling together. "I just didn't think you two had been... a thing, I guess."

I snorted. "Is it that surprising?" I only half joked.

Evan smiled, more effortlessly this time. "Kind of, yeah. He doesn't really seem like your type..."

"What is my type?" I rose an eyebrow.

He cheeks flushed some, a mere shrug of his shoulders following. "I obviously don't know. I was almost beginning to think I could be your type but..."

I looked down at my food; he did the same.

A small silence settled over us. Audrey tried to get me to convince Dylan that her cooking skills were improving, and I must have made a more unconvincing face than I thought because he practically cried from laughing so hard. Audrey was trying to tell him she was a better cook, but she eventually just started laughing with him.

I concluded they were cute together. At least for now. Anyone could screw up an adorable relationship in the blink of an eye. I hoped Dylan wasn't one of those people. Audrey truly seemed really interested in him.