Chapter 9

SONG(s) FOR CHAPTER:

♬ Somebody To You by The Vamps feat. Demi Lovato ♬

♬ The Scientist by Coldplay ♬

CHAPTER 9

❀ GRACE WALKER ❀

THE SILENCE WAS deafening the entire drive the Harry's hotel. I tapped my fingers against my knee, chewed my bottom lip, stared out the window—anything to try and conjure up some form of conversation.

Evan glanced up in the mirror at Harry, still beaming. He had been rambling the past few minutes about how much of a fan he was, and it was still such an odd thing for me to wrap my head around. He couldn't even afford his own place to live before and now he's staying in five star hotels. Life is such a complex puzzle with more and more missing pieces.

"Hey, I don't mean to come off as desperate, or anything," said Evan as he pulled in front of the hotel Harry was staying in, "but do you think... I don't know. Maybe you could get me some tickets for your next fight?"

The rain had slowed down tremendously, now at a light sprinkle, but Harry still seemed unaffected when he opened the door. "Uh, I'll see what I can do," he said, a large smile growing on Evan's face in return.

"Sweet! It was so cool talking to you, man."

Harry nodded once, an awkward smile on his lips, one that was too forced. He muttered a quick goodbye before closing the door and hurrying into the lobby, disappearing from sight.

I blew out air from my lips, breath I hadn't realized I'd been holding. Evan looked over at me, clearly sensing odd tension, but he said nothing and drove to the steakhouse he had reservations for.

"Their steak and burgers are to die for," he told me excitedly after opening my door.

I smiled. "You didn't have to take me somewhere so... fancy."

He shrugged, a smile on his own lips, and then we walked inside. A hostess took us back to a booth with an overly sweet smile and much too forced kindness. The waiter we got, however, was quite the one for jokes and made the night even more enjoyable.

After such a pleasant dinner with immense small talk and awful jokes on Evan's behalf, we were headed for the arena where the concert would be held at. Nothing could subdue my giddy once we arrived, not even the obnoxious girl in front of us at the security check who took fifteen minutes arguing for God only knows what.

"This is my first concert," I told Evan excitedly as we were finally ushered inside, searching for our seats.

He looked surprised. "Really? You've never been to a concert before?"

I shook my head as we took our seats in the right wing, close to the middle with a perfect view of the stage. Not as close as someone would want to be, but I was more than grateful just for even being here.

"Well, I feel like I have extreme expectations to meet to make this the best concert ever," he said. "I mean, your concert buddy. Obviously it's the band's job to make it the best concert, but you know. Doesn't hurt to have someone cool to go with."

I grinned when about a half hour later, the lights finally dimmed and the arena was packed full. The opening act was a band I had never heard of, but they did a great job pumping up the crowd for the main act. I was so ecstatic, I couldn't even stand still.

I was in the midst of trying to get stellar pictures while also trying to get a good amount of videos when Evan nudged me with his elbow, shouting over the gradually ending chorus that We The Kings was about to come on after this last song.