Chapter 10

(early update because I got 17k followers, holy freaking cow, you guys slay & ilysm—also, four songs because of a switch in POVs *winks*)

SONG(s) FOR CHAPTER: 

♬ A Thousand Year by Christina Perri ♬

♬ Any Other Way by We The Kings ♬ 

♬ Somewhere In Neverland by All Time Low ♬ 

♬ I Choose You by Sara Bareilles ♬ 

CHAPTER 10

❀ GRACE WALKER ❀

"DON'T HATE ME," I said into the phone, "but I have to cancel tonight—"

"What?" Audrey gasped. "Grace, I need you! I can't believe you would just abandon me. I thought we were becoming really great friends and now you go and ditch me like—"

"I wasn't finished!"

"Oh. Proceed."

"Does your lover happen to enjoy UFC?"

Audrey paused a moment. "How should I know? He's a boy, so I'm going to assume that he does."

"Well, my friend got tickets for the match tonight. I thought I could give you both one to make it up for not helping you cook. And we can go out to eat afterwards so you don't have to cook at all," I told her.

"Whoo! You're a life savor, young one. Hey, would this match happen to star a very attractive British man?"

My cheeks flushed, even though she wasn't there to see. "Um, yes."

"Then I'm in no matter what. He is one fine devil. I'll have to note him as a back up in case this one doesn't work out."

Chest tightening, I spoke faster than I should have. "Yeah, well, see you tonight. I gotta go." I hung up before she could answer.

Letting out a sigh, I raked my fingers through my hair and shoved my phone back into my pocket. The clock informed me it was time for lunch, so I shook my hands out a little and headed for the lounge.

Evan was already there, his feet propped up on the table while he munched on some chips. I pushed his feet off just to spite him, to which he stuck his chip-covered tongue out at me.

"Gross," I muttered.

He laughed, and then a silence rested over us. I was still replaying the words he bid me goodbye with Friday night. How he practically confessed his crush on me. I suppose I sort of expected it, just the way he acted sometimes, but I never thought so deeply on it until now.

I remembered I had an extra ticket Jacob had given to me, and also that Evan was a big fan. If anything could split the tension between us, surely it would be gift giving. After all, he had given me concert tickets. It's only fair if I return the favor.

"I have something you might like," I told him and reached into my pocket.

He rose an eyebrow, putting his feet down to rest his arms on the table instead. His head tilted in interest at first when I pulled out the small ticket, but then his eyes went wide and a smile brightened his face.

"No way!"

I smiled. "The match is tonight—"

"I know," he said, still seemingly ecstatic. "Man, ever since I first saw that kid on television a couple years back, I've been dying to go to a fight live."

I scrunched my nose. "What is it with everyone enjoying watching someone else's face get smashed in?"

Evan was shaking his head now, but still grinned. "No, that's not the point of it, Grace. The point is how somehow could literally have such agility, that they don't even get hit once. I've only seen Harry Styles get hit a handful of times, and each time the opponent got it much worse.