Chapter 5

SONG(s) FOR CHAPTER: 

♬ Sad Song by We The Kings ♬

♬ All You Had To Do Was Stay by Taylor Swift ♬ 

CHAPTER 5

❀ GRACE WALKER 

        I CLOSED THE door to Harry's room quietly, letting out a breath I hadn't realized I'd been holding and blinking quickly to keep the tears at bay. I shouldn't be nearly crying due to the fact that it's been almost two years. I should be over it, emotionally blank. I wasn't sure why my heart still cracked by the mere sound of his name being heard.

        Shaking my hands a bit as if I can wiggle away the feeling of him, I headed back over to the desk where the interns mill about. Most were gone, their shifts long over, but Evan still hunched over the desk with his phone in his hands playing some game.

        "Hey," I said. He looked up and smiled, slipping his phone in his jacket pocket. "You didn't have to wait for me."

        He rolled his eyes. "It's past midnight and you live like, twenty minutes away by foot. I wasn't going to let you walk."

        "Well, thanks, but I still have to check up on some files for Doctor Miles."

        "I can wait a little longer."

        I gave him a look, uncertain, but he flashed me another goofy grin before spinning like a five year old in the office chair. I laughed some, sitting behind a computer opposite him and clicking a few things. I typed in the security pass code Miles left for me, clicking a couple more keys before I could finally get access.

        Typing in Harry's full name and birth date, it took a bit more information and a lot more clicks before his records flashed on the screen. I sucked in a breath at what I was about to do, feeling like I was intruding his private life. But I kept in mind that this was for his health's sake, so the doctor could help.

        I began reading.

NAME: STYLES, HARRY E.

DATE OF BIRTH: 02/01/1994 

        I skipped past all the birth information, like the time he was born and what weight and height he was. His first documentation of a doctor visit, of an emergency room visit when he fell off his bike and broke his hand at the age of eight, and other random things that occur in one's life. But there were other emergency room visits that didn't add up.

EMERGENCY ON 10/09/2000 - DOCTOR'S NOTES:

Crucial bruising of the left eye and jaw; "nail marks" lining the inner flesh of both arms; scalp very red and bleeding.

- Patient and mother say he fell down the stairs, also has a nervous habit of tugging the hair and scratching.

- Mother also has scarring on the right side of face, though claims it was a childhood accident.

- Both deny possible occurrences of domestic abuse. 

        My hand covered my mouth without me realizing, though it's obvious that it had been domestic abuse. His father, of course, had been an alcoholic. I remembered that way too vividly from when Harry described to me the scene he witnessed those few years ago when his father killed his mother before killing himself. All while he and his sister watched, petrified.