Chapter 81

Chapter VI

Percy

I looked at Nico in concern as his eyes flew open. The black aura around him faded as he slumped and Alpha and Thalia automatically reached out to catch him.

"Watch out for Void." He said and my eyes widened. He straightened up, still hugging himself and my old mentor and cousin backed off. "I can raise the dead to help.

I blanked; surprised by his sudden change of heart and Annabeth looked at him with motherly concern. "Nico, are you alright?"

Nico smiled briefly at her and nodded. "I'm fine, and yes I am sure, Percy."

I nodded thoughtfully and looked at Nico. I wished I could be as brave as him sometimes.

The Son of Hades took a deep breath and then he held his hands out. His eyes closed and I felt the earth under my feet begin to rumble. Time seemed to stop, and then the Earth cracked and ghostly hands pulled themselves out of the ground.

I stared in shock at my mother and she smiled at me. She looked real, or she would if she didn't have that strange white glow about her. "My son..." she murmured and her fingers lightly touched my cheek. I took a shuddering breath and I felt a solid hand on my shoulder. Nico. "How far you've come." she sounded pleased, "How far you all have come."

I smiled a little sadly. "Yeah," I agreed softly, "How far we've come."

I felt warm fingers wrap around my elbow and I looked down at Annabeth in surprise. She smiled at me and turned to my mom. "It's good to see you again Mrs. Jackson." She greeted politely and my mom's smile slipped.

I suddenly realized what was going through her mind as Annabeth bit her lip. "Annabeth didn't betray me," I told her and mom looked at me, her eyes widening with surprise. "It was Void."

I pointed at the archenemy of Chaos and Mom followed my finger. "Another enemy?" she wondered in surprise and I smiled a little sheepishly as her gaze flashed back to me.

She looked torn, as if she wanted to know what I had been up to and yet she didn't at the same time.

"Well, technically he was Chaos's archenemy." Mom's eyes widened and I winced. Suddenly I wished I could sink into the ground when her gaze seemed to pierce through my soul.

Mom had always been able to do that.

"I... uh..." All I managed to get out was an undignified squeak and Mom sighed, but there was a slight smile on her face. I instantly felt better.

"What he means to say is that he and I got taken in from Chaos." Nico explained politely and I glared at him. There was no need for him to break the news like that!

"The creator of the universe?" my mom wondered and I gulped. "Really, Percy? How and why?"

I seriously wished I could sink into the ground.

"He's the Heir of Chaos," Alpha explained briefly and mom's eyes widened. I felt the pressure on my elbow increase and I knew that that was Annabeth's silent order of 'stay here or else.' "In other words he's the next ruler of the universe once this whole mess has been cleaned up."

Mom's gaze snapped to my face and I suddenly realized that my feet were very, very fascinating. "I knew you were destined to do great things but..." she shook her head and smiled fondly and tilted my face up. "Why is your head bowed, you should be proud." I smiled at her and wrapped my arms around her.

I had seriously missed mom.

Annabeth

I smiled sadly as I watched as Sally and Percy were reunited. The smile slipped when I saw a familiar person standing in the shadows watching us. I glanced at mother and son and then quietly crept away. I didn't want to disturb them.

Chocolate colored eyes widened and I knew that it was him.

"What are you doing here?" I whispered angrily as worry surged through me. "You know your father told everyone under fifteen had to stay."

Samuel shifted nervously and I glared at him. "I only wanted to help and... I don't want Dad to die."

I sighed softly and shook my head, still angry but more understanding. He was certainly Perseus Jackson's son alright. Stupid fatal flaw must have been passed down to him. I knelt down next to him and touched his shoulder. "I know, and your father can take care of himself. But he'll only get distracted if he finds out that you're here..." I paused for a moment and looked at Sam in confusion. "Wait; how did you get here without anyone noticing you in the first place?"

Sam shifted a little nervously. "About that, Annabeth... I need to tell you something."

It didn't escape my notice that he didn't call me 'aunty' like he normally did. But I was distracted when a bolt of light came out of nowhere. I managed to defect it with Ignis and I expanded it into sword form. I glanced over my shoulder at the seven year old-wait. Why did he look fifteen now?

"Samuel?" I breathed and he smiled sadly at me and pulled me to my feet. I swallowed heavily; he was taller than me now. "What...?"

"I'll explain later," he promised quickly and then he drew Celestial Bronze sword. I gaped at him as he effortlessly decapitated a monster that had somehow snuck up on us. "You need to get to Dad; too many lives are depending on you two."

His sword swung in a wide arc and I could only stare at him in shock. "Now!" he ordered and I was too stunned to not obey him.

I grabbed Ignis and began to cut my way through the monsters, but then I looked over my shoulder at him and he paused, probably sensing my gaze, and he glanced at me. "You better come out alive, because you owe me an explanation!" I shouted and he smiled slightly.

I took that as confirmation and allowed myself to be drawn into the monsters.

Sam

I watched as the woman who had become my second mother disappeared into the crowd of monsters and my smile slipped as a single tear rolled down my cheek.

I wasn't crying because I was scared or sad; I cried because I pitied the mindless minions my old human friends had become.

"I can't fight destiny, Annabeth." I whispered to myself softly and then I surged back into the fight.

I might not be able to fight destiny, but I could make it hard for it to not suffer any losses on my account.