[Book VII] Chapter 76

Lend Me Your Strength

Book VII

Chapter I                                                                      

Percy

The wind blew over the bare hills which were once rich in grass. I shivered slightly, the cloak did little to keep this kind of cold out and it wasn't just from the wind chill. I was undeniably nervous about the upcoming battle, how would we survive this fight? Annabeth held out a cup and steam rose out of it. I knew the smell, coffee and my mouth began to water. How in the world did she always find this stuff?

"Where did you find that?" I wondered as I took the cup from her. She smirked briefly and pointed behind her at... Alpha. I blinked and then I felt my lips twitch upwards, of course. "I should have known; he's addicted to this stuff."

She smiled wryly and took a sip from the cup. "Really?"

I exhaled heavily and finished the coffee off. "You ready?" I asked her and she smiled at me, her eyes sparkling with fierce pride and affection.

"Always." she answered firmly, without an ounce of hesitance in her voice.

"No, I'm never ready, usually when you're around Perseus."

I grinned slightly; a lot had change in the last few years, hadn't it? "Till death do us part." I vowed a promise to her and myself that the only thing that would separate us would be death. It was both an Earthian vow and a Vanguardian vow.

"Until death do us part." She echoed the phrase and I smiled at her.

I took a deep breath and stepped forward. Gazes turned to me and I exhaled. I was their leader, I had to look strong... but I was anything but strong. I was only human.

"Today... we do battle." I began and I looked at the many faces. Friends, family, comrades, soldiers and the innocent who choose to help. "Today we end this war; we end a war as old as the universes itself. A war against tyranny, greed and spite. Not all will greet the dawn, some will live and some will die. But remember this, even when the darkest hour seems to be never ending and that there seems to be no hope, we fight with justice and honor, with pride. For not only do we fight for our lives, we fight for our friends. We fight for our family. We fight for the right to live, we fight for our future." I paused and let my words sink in and I felt pride surge through me as everyone stood straighter up. I lifted Riptide in the air. "For the love of the universes!" I roared.

"For the love of our home!" Annabeth cried, lifting her sword into the air.

"FOR THE LOVE OF CHAOS!" we all roared in sync, lifting our various weapons into the air.

We stood as one, and nothing that Void could do will stand in our way. We were Chaos's children, and nothing would stand in our way if we put our minds on it.

This was the true spirit of the Warriors of Vanguard. It didn't matter if you were born on Earth, or if you were a warrior, or if you were someone who had never had any desire to join the Warriors. We were one and the same, a living force that breathed and sweated and lived and died together.

We were one.

Chaos would have been proud.

Annabeth

I grinned at Percy, noticing the sparkle in his eyes. Next to me, Bianca laughed and I looked at Nico who was smiling and nodding in agreement. Around us, citizens were still cheering and I wondered if Percy had known the image that he had made.

He looked a little like Chaos.

I'm sure the older citizens had realized that, for they had pride in their eyes as they cheered along with the crowd. Alpha especially looked proud of the Heir of Chaos but I knew that he had been his apprentice.

Suddenly everyone surged forward and surrounded Percy, who was now beginning to look a little shell shocked and I chuckled and appeared at his side.

"Perseus!" a female voice cried and Percy's eyes widened.

"Elisa!?" he called out, looking somewhere off to my right. An elderly kind looking woman elbowed her way through the crowd and smiled at Percy.

"You've grown to be such a fine young man." She complimented him and Percy grinned at her.

"Thanks!" he accepted the compliment and I tilted my head. "Her name's Elisa," he explained to me as soon as she walked away. "She's the nurse who healed me every time I got injured one way or another."

I nodded and shrugged. "You must have given her a headache."

Percy laughed and I grinned. He really was one of the greatest heroes to ever walk the earth.

Unknown

I watched as the Heir of Chaos lifted everyone's spirits so much that I couldn't help but join in. Even though they were destined to loose, all of the odds were against their favor, they were still able to cheer.

It was a little awe inspiring.