Choices

Robin held Regina close as they lay on the floor staring up at the moon.

"You know, I never really liked magic, but when it can do things like this, it's wonderful," he said.

"I hated magic once, but I found beauty in it. Beyond intimidating an entire realm, I discovered I could do things like this," she smiled.

"You hated magic?" Robin was shocked by this. He realized he didn't know very much about Regina's past. He only knew what she shared and he never asked, shamefully. That was going to change. "You're the most powerful sorceress in our realm," he added.

"I'm flattered you think so, but that title actually belonged to my mother. And now I believe it belongs to Zelena after the stunt she was able to pull," she sighed. Robin pulled her closer, feeling the same pain and hatred toward her sister in his core.

"You are some very tricky women, I'll give you that," he sighed.

"You don't know the half of it," she said.

"Enlighten me," he leaned up to look at her face, hoping this would encourage her to share. To his surprise, she didn't hesitate to tell him.

"I told you about Daniel... How he died when I was young," she began and Robin nodded. "I always blamed Snow for his death, but she was a child. She really didn't know any better. And as I look back, I was a child as well. No more than nineteen. But I knew I loved him and so did Snow. And my mother got wind of our relationship from her, which was the worst thing that could have happened because I was supposed to marry the King. Daniel and I planned to run away together, but my mother stopped us before we had the chance."

Robin rubbed her back, sensing where her story was headed. Regina took a deep breath and continued, "She wanted me to be Queen so badly that she ripped his heart out and crushed it right in front of me. I hated magic because I saw what it did to people, how it drove my mother mad with the desire for power. I never wanted to be like her, but my fate was set. And here I am... The Evil Queen."

"I'm so sorry, Regina," he kissed her temple and she smiled.

"I used to feel sorry for myself, but I realized that the only thing really standing in the way of my happiness was myself," she said.

"How can you say that when such horrible things have happened to you?"

"I chose to seek revenge on Snow. I could have been a proper stepmother to her and felt the love a mother feels for a child, the way I feel about Henry now. I could have listened to Tinkerbell and entered that pub to meet you, but I chose not to. I was so afraid of finding happiness without Daniel that I secluded myself to a world of dark magic and hatred. There is no one else to blame, but myself," she said. There was no pity in her tone at all anymore. Regina had truly grown and learned to accept the things that have happened in her life.

"You're an incredible woman, Regina," he said with a smile.

"I know that now," she replied.