The Painful Truth

Regina turned to face the window again as Robin wrapped his arm around her. This was their go-to position when they fell asleep. It was like this the first time in the vault all those months ago and it stayed that way now.

Her breathing was evening out and Robin knew she was beginning to fall asleep. He kissed her shoulder and heard her hum at his touch. It was sweet, almost like a baby cooing. It made him smile.

His mind started wandering as he tried to follow Regina to sleep. He thought about what life had in store for them. How many more threats would enter their lives and how many battles would they have to fight to keep each other. He thought about raising their sons, how wonderful it will be for Roland to have a big brother as brave and honorable as Henry. He thought about his new child with Zelena and how that would affect Regina.

Suddenly he was reminded of something Regina said to him. She said it so quickly that it never hit him to ask her about it until now. Her words rang in his ears: 'You're tied together in a way we'll never be.'

What could she have meant by that? He loved Regina with all his heart. What greater commitment could he make to prove that to her? There was only one way to know what she meant and that would be to ask her.

"Regina," he whispered, hoping she was still awake. The answer to this question was the only way he would be able to sleep.

"Hmm," she hummed and rolled over to face him. She pulled him closer to her for warmth. Her eyes fluttered open and she looked at him with very sleepy brown eyes.

"I woke you, didn't I," he asked with guilt in his voice.

"It's okay. I'd rather be awake to look at you," she smiled at him. He tried to smile back, but it looked more like a grimace. She frowned and asked, "Robin, what's wrong?"

"I was thinking about what you said that day in the bar in New York," he began and Regina adjusted herself to listen to him. "We were talking about Zelena and you said, 'You're tied together in a way we'll never be.' What did you mean by that?"

Regina swallowed hard. She didn't expect to have to tell him this yet or at all. It was the worst thing she'd ever done and this was the same woman who killed his wife all those years ago.

"I-," she tried to get the words out, but the pain of the memory was too much for her.

"Regina, my love. You can tell me anything. Please," he begged. He needed to know what she meant.

"You and Zelena having a child together... We'll never have that," she trailed off as a tear ran down her face.

"Never say never. It may not be in our best interest now, but we can have children when we're ready," he replied, wiping her tears. Regina sat up and swung her legs around to hang over the bed. She couldn't stand to look at him.

"No, Robin," she said and he leaned forward to hear her better. "I can't have children."

There was silence. It wasn't uncomfortable, but it was clear that Robin had no idea what to say or do. He knew how painful it must have been for her to admit that to him and he felt bad now for pushing her. He wrapped his arms around her and closed his eyes as he took in her scent.

"I'm so sorry, Regina," he said and she closed her eyes to let more tears fall. "What happened?"

"It was my fault," she whispered, her voice breaking. This was the first time she was speaking about what happened that day. Her mother was the only other person who ever knew this about her until now.

"How is it your fault," he ran his hands up and down her arms to comfort her, his chin resting on her shoulder.

She tried to start from the beginning, but her tears wouldn't let her. She groaned in frustration. She wanted to tell him, but she needed to get her emotions in check first.

"Shh, take a deep breath, my love. You don't have to share anymore tonight if you're not ready," he said.

"I'm ready," she said, wiping her tears. She took a deep breath and said again, "I'm ready."

Robin nodded and kept his arms wrapped around her. He put his legs down and sat behind her. She took another deep breath and began to tell her tragic story.

"After the King died, my mother returned from Wonderland, where I had banished her, to 'apologize' for murdering Daniel. I didn't trust her at first, but she knew about the pixie dust and the lion tattoo. She made me believe she wanted to help me find true love. She brought a man to me with a fake tattoo. I asked him why she was doing this and he said she wanted me to have a child," Regina was crying, but was determined to finish.

Robin continued to hold her tight, feeling her pain in his own heart. He was starting to see a trend: if Cora was involved, Regina was the victim of something horrendous.

"My mother came to my chamber later that evening. We argued and I refused to see anything, but darkness. Most of what I remember from that night is a red blur. I was too determined to hurt her that I didn't think of the consequences of my actions. All she cared about was having an heir to the throne that she could control the way she controlled me. I couldn't let that happen, Robin. I couldn't let her ruin a perfectly innocent child," Regina sobbed.

"Regina," he sighed. "What did you do?"

"I drank an infertility potion and begged her to get out of my life forever. It was the worst pain I ever felt. I was doubled over, my insides burned and I immediately regretted my actions. I never imagined anyone would love me again the way you do, Robin. I'm so sorry."

Tears escaped Robin's eyes. This woman had been through more than he ever imagined. How she was still alive and able to become a hero after all of this, he would never know. Her strength was admirable and it broke his heart to see her in so much pain.

"You have nothing to be sorry about," he began. "You made your decision and we will deal with it. I may be bound to Zelena because of a child, but no one will ever know the bond we share, Regina. I love you and we will get through this. Please don't cry."

He wiped her tears and sat back, helping her lay down.

"I'm sorry you had to relive that, my love," he said consoling her.

"I knew I had to tell you, Robin. I wanted to tell you. I just didn't know how," her emotions exhausted her. She closed her eyes as her head rested on the pillow. He leaned over her, brushing her hair back with his hand.

"Rest now, my love. I am here for you. Always," he whispered as he watched her fall asleep. "I love you," he added.

"I love you too," she said as she drifted off.