003: On The Road

"I promise. I promise. I promise."

~~~~~~~~~

Leslie gave Vernon a hug while Elvis kissed his mother's cheeks before hugging her, "All right. I love you."

"Bye, baby."

Elvis moved so that Leslie could hug Gladys, "We'll be back before you know it. I'll take good care of, E, on the road."

"I have no doubt, but take care of yourself to, baby," Leslie nodded as she pulled away. She grabbed Elvis' had and dragged him to the car, Scotty and Bill already in the back seat. Leslie got in the passenger seat, Elvis in the drivers seat starting the car.

"Nothing but nothing... is gonna come between us."

Elvis drove off Leslie sent one more wave and smile to Gladys and Vernon, before Elvis started to drive away and Scotty spoke excitedly, "Let's go!"

Wanna bet?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The shows went by in a flash, one show after another. It was fun, but the bigger they got, the more lonesome it got.

"Well, it's one for the money," Elvis sang.

"Two for the show," Leslie sang as she moved around as the boys played the instruments.

"Three to get ready. Now go, cat, go," the two friends sang together, "But don't you. Step on my blue suede shoes."

~~~~~~~~~~~

They were in the car again heading to the next show in Louisiana.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Well, you can knock me down. Step on my face," Elvis sang as he played his guitar.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Your attention please," their heads turned slightly or they looked through the side view mirrors as Colonel's voice came over the megaphone, "I have some good news. Our next four nights are sold out..."

Mississippi

"...thanks to the dazzling performances of our tremendous showman, Hank Snow."

~~~~~~~~~

As Hank played, everyone looked bored and looked like they wished to be anywhere else. Leslie wasn't one to steal the spot light from another, but the feelings she got from the crowd, the music and her best friend next to her trumped that feeling.

"Pardon me if I'm sentimental. When we say goodbye."

~~~~~~~~~~

"And I've noticed a mild interest in our newest act, Elvis Presley and Leslie Wright."

~~~~~~~~~~

The music played as Elvis and Leslie moved on the stage. Girls and guys shouting and screaming.

~~~~~~~~~~