002: Beale Street Stars In There Eyes

"Top of the morning to you, friends," a Memphis DJ spoke, "from the home of colorful, old Beale Street. The place where the blues began in Memphis, Tennessee."

Elvis drove himself and Leslie down Beale Street, after picking her up from work at the diner she worked at.

"Where you see pretty browns dressed in beautiful gowns, along with tailor-mades and hand-me-downs," Elvis parked his work truck on the street.

"Where you see honest men and pickpockets skilled," the long time friends each exited the truck, "and business never closes till somebody gets killed. Now, just kidding."

Leslie walked over to Elvis' side of the truck grabbing his hand.

"But there's a lot goin' down on Beale Street tonight, and nowhere more-so than at Club Handy. Come around if you wanna see Big Mama Thornton, layin' down her newest hit. Now, listen up, while Brown America speaks."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Elvis pulled up to the housing complex they lived in, stopping to park, Leslie sat next to him with her head back and eyes lidded.

Just why a truck driver and a waitress from Memphis, Tennessee, liked to hang out on Beale Street, I do not know.

Leslie watched as Elvis combed back his longer hair, "Aw, it was all nice." He looked at her in amusement, she had opened her eyes and was watching him, "You had to go and mess it up."

"It was a mess," he laughed as Leslie pouted at him.

"I think it was nice," she said as they got out of the truck, Elvis making his way to her side.

But it did them no favors, fitting into them white housing projects.

Some boys who were playing catch stopped as Elvis got his guitar out of the middle along with some other things, "Hey, squirrel. Nice shoes."

~~~~~~~~~

Leslie and Elvis walked down Beale Street taking everything in. The style, the people, the music, it was everything they loved.

They looked up as they heard singing, "And, Daddy, I know. That you ain't no real cool cat."

~~~~~~~~~

Some girls stood by the light poll called out to Elvis, "Hey, Elvis!" Elvis looked back at them as they waved at him, flirtingly.

Some guys who were not playing ball and were shier called out to Leslie making her turn and smile at them, waving slightly.

~~~~~~~~

Elvis and Leslie continued to walk Beale Street, stopping and putting a few cents in a guitar players case.

~~~~~~~~~

The two best friends started to walk towards the front door of their housing project.

"Hey, Tommy. That's that boy and girl whose record everybody's talkin' about."

~~~~~~~~~

The style of everyone on Beale Street was one of the things that Elvis and Leslie loved. Their style was amazing, as well as their music, everything about Beale Street was amazing.