Upsetting Outcomes

"I don't know what I'm going to do if we lose Nationals. I'll probably stick with this team for a few more years," Grace says in response to something Maya said.

"I'm thinking of doing the same. I don't want to go professional anytime soon and I'm really starting to like this team." Grace nods in agreement.

"The doctor said I broke my ankle, I won't be able to compete." Presley stares down at her shoes.

"I'm very sorry Presley. I know how hard you worked this year. I hope you'll come audition again after Nationals."

"Thank you Rebecca."

"You're welcome. I can give you a minute to talk to the team if you'd like?" Rebecca offers.

"No thanks. I'd rather not right now if that's okay."

"Of course. But you should come back sometime soon. Everyone would want to see you before the competition."

"Okay."

"Goodbye Presley."

"Goodbye Rebecca." Presley walks out of the office using her crutches and leaves the studio.

"What do you thinks gonna happen now?" Izzy asks, leaning over to Heath.

"I guess Piper will probably take her place. I don't know about the solo though. It's got a lot of acro moves," Heath responds. A-troupe talk in hushed whispers.

"Hello everyone. I'm sure you're all worried. Obviously this is not our ideal situation going into our last week of rehearsals before Nationals. Of course we are prepared for this which is why Piper will be taking her place in the group routine and I have decided that Winnie will be performing her audition solo at Nationals," Rebecca explains.

-Winnie's Talking Head-

"I can't believe I get to perform a solo at Nationals. I hate how it had to happen though, going to Nationals won't be the same without Presley there."

-End Of Talking Head-

"Thank you so much." Winnie grins.

"Don't get too excited. You're going to have stay after rehearsal today. It will be a lot of work to get your solo ready in so little time," Rebecca warns. "Piper join the group routine, just fill the beats when there are moves you cannot do we will have to replace those, but I want to go over all of it with you alone." Piper nods.

-Piper's Talking Head-

"I'm excited for Nationals but also really nervous. Presley's an acro dancer, I can only do an ariel. Not to mention we barely have any time before Nationals."

-End Of Talking Head-

They begin to rehearse the group routine.

Richelle and Ozzy practice their duet in Emily and Michelle's studio.

-Richelle's Talking Head-

"I booked a rehearsal for Ozzy and I after the team rehearsal today. I want our duet to impress everyone. It clearly already impressed Michelle and Emily but we will need extra rehearsal time if we want it to be flawless."

-End Of Talking Head-

"I think it's coming along well, 5 minute break?" Richelle asks, walking past Ozzy to the bench.

"Yeah." He sits beside her.

"Has the new team been all you hoped for?" Ozzy breaks the silence while reaching for his water bottle.

"Totally. It feels like so much has changed and yet nothing really has," Richelle explains.

"I get that. Almost everyone's still around but we're in a completely different place than we were last year. I've been meaning to ask you why you wanted to do the duet with me? I was happy to do it with you but I expected you to ask Kenzie or Lola."

Richelle shrugs. "I don't know honestly. I haven't danced with Lola in so long and Kenzie and I haven't ever danced together so I wanted to be with someone I knew I would have chemistry with." Richelle picks at leggings.

"I thought that stuff didn't matter to you," Ozzy says.

She meets his gaze. "It didn't always, but I think it's at least a bit important. I mean we can't go up there glaring at each other can we?" She chuckles halfheartedly.

"I think it matters a lot. What sort of impression we give." His gaze flits to her lips.

He leans in, so does she. Just before their lips meet she pulls away, avoiding his gaze.

"We should really get back to practicing." She hops up from the bench, rushing to the middle of the floor.

-Richelle's Talking Head-

"I can't believe that just happened. Did that really just happen? I don't like Ozzy that way. And even if I did I would never want lose our friendship when we inevitably break up. He means too much to me for me to even consider kissing him."

-End Of Talking Head-

"Yeah you're right." He follows her into the floor.

-Ozzy's Talking Head-

"That was terrible. I really thought she was going to kiss me. I hope I didn't make her uncomfortable."

-End Of Talking Head-

Richelle sits at a table in a cafe.

-Richelle Talking Head-

"I promised Shad a while ago that I would meet up with him at this cafe near our studio. When I first saw him I honestly didn't recognize him but when he came to speak to me I realized he was the same kid I used to dance with on J-troupe. The situation with Ozzy is confusing, but I'm going to push it aside, there's nothing I can do right now."

-End Of Talking Head-

"Hey Richelle." Shad sits next to Richelle.

"Hi Shad." She puts away her phone.

"It's been nice to see you again." He smiles.

"You too."

"Your old studio is competing at nationals this year right?" He asks.

"Yes." The two continue to catch up for an hour and a half.

"Oh Shad I actually have to go. I'm sorry I didn't even realize it had been so long."

"No problem. Hey before you go," she pauses in gathering her things. "I was wondering if you wanted to do this again sometime. I really had a lot of fun with you today," he asks.

"I would like to Shad. I had a lot of fun as well." She continues packing up.

"Great. I'll text you later?"

"Sure sounds good." She leaves the cafe.

-Richelle's Talking Head-

"I really wasn't expecting that to go so well. This day hasn't been too bad after all. I still have to figure things out with Ozzy but I'm sure if I just explain that I want to stay friends he'll understand."

-End Of Talking Head-

Izzy bumps into Heath on the way into The Next Steep.

"Sorry Izzy." He steps back.

"It's okay. I've actually been looking for you."

"I have to go, can we talk another time?" He looks toward the exit.

"All right. I'll call you tonight."

"Great. Bye Izzy." He rushes out the door. They watch him leave.

-Izzy's Talking Head-

"I really don't know what's going on with Heath, I thought things were good between us but it feels like he's been avoiding me outside of rehearsals. I hope things are better after nationals."

-End Of Talking Head-

"Hi Oz." Izzy plops down on a stool next to Ozzy.

"Hey Izzy. Are you ready to go?"

"Yeah." They leave together.