✧ rebekah mikaelson as a love interest

requested by rosa_riyana

rebekah as a love interest is quite difficult i won't lie.

the reason i say this is because we don't really see her in a relationship. we see her and matt a lot before they get back together but then there's a time jump and their relationship is soon over.

we see marcel and rebekah in flashbacks a bit and sometimes throughout, but when they were in a stable relationship was usually during time jumps. we never saw them that much as a stable couple in the way that we saw maybe stelena or steroline.

this means that you do have a lot of freedom, which i think is nice, but it can also be difficult if you don't pick a direction and stick with it.

rebekah craves love and attention. she isn't like her brothers who push it away. i think it was elena who said she loves blindly and it consumes her. klaus also made similar comments throughout the show.

in one of the flashbacks, she wanted to turn and be with a man she barely knew. she fell for the hunter pretty easily according to klaus if i remember correctly. she was drawn to matt easily too. even in terms of friendship, she was ready to become best friends with elena even though they barely knew each other because she wanted a friend.

she very much wants a human life and is pretty desperate for it.

this is where it's easy and challenging.

it's easy because i don't think it's hard for rebekah to want to be with something. all they have to do is be kind to her and treat her nicely and at the very least she'll want to be friends with them.

but it's hard because you want it to be genuine. you want her to love this person, not just love the idea of being with someone.

in my personal experience with writing a love interest for rebekah, i found it easier to go with an oc who couldn't be with rebekah because of reasons outside of the relationship. she didn't give rebekah that much attention aside from when they were just talking as friends and i had them wait a little bit. it made it a little easier.

as for how she is in a relationship, i think that she has a difficult time standing up for herself when it comes to relationships. there are a few times when matt makes some comments that were i guess justified considering she was a pretty bad person, but she just sits there and takes it and then gets into a relationship with him.

the same thing goes for marcel, which is why i personally always had a problem with their relationship. it didn't seem like he put her first (which i know some people argue is justified so that's up for debate but my point isn't whether or not he was justified) but she still wanted to be with him.

she does get very consumed with her love interests to the point where she turns on other people. for example, she turned on klaus for marcel, twice if i'm not mistaken because he stood in the way of their relationship.

i don't think she's someone who is difficult to win over. the issue is it was hard to tell what was genuine love and what was just a result of her desire to be loved.

it's also difficult because she kept leaving the originals so i can't tell what is because she wasn't there or what was just her character. for example, she turned down marcel's proposal even though they were together for several years at that point yet she leaves him pretty easily.

so it's odd because in the vampire diaries she's shown to have a strong desire to be loved but in the originals she is hesitant to accept it.  it does depend which show you're writing her in because she's very different in both.

i think in tvd she's a little bit less patient, less understanding, and more selfish, but in the originals she's more of the opposite.

she does seem like a pretty good girlfriend though. once she's actually in love, but again, you would have to bring in some of her personality traits into the relationship and tease them out. for example, in season 3 of the vampire diaries, she's dramatic, selfish, demanding, etc so you'd have to bring those qualities into the relationship and see how they play out.

with that being said, i think that if someone was genuinely nice to rebekah that she would be nice back.

i feel bad that i can't be more helpful, but unfortunately, there wasn't much shown