A glimpse of the Past (Beginning of Part 2 )

...

On the other world

...

Part 2

...

We really have come a long way ...

... but I may have finally achieved happiness.

However, it hasn't always ...

... been easy.

Earth, year 2169

Edge of the Florida Special Environment Region

?1 : Oh boy, there he comes !

A huge alligator emerged from thewater, spilling water on everything and everyone around him. Opposite him - a similarly huge, bearded man.

Both pissed as hell.

?1 : Once I'm done with you, your birth mother will not recognise you !

Alligators, as we know, can not speak, so the bearded man won this verbal battle.

3,2,1-

BUMP

The two "monsters" started fighting, while the whole spectacle was watched by a little 4-year-old boy sitting on the fence separating the treacherous marshy floodplain of F.S.E.R. from the modern, neo-asphalt road.

Even Florida is moving with the times.

?2 : From the left ! Strike from the left !

?1 : 'attcha boy ! Personal request from me kid !

The giant hit the alligator right onthe nose, and it flew a couple of hundred meters until it ended up inthe crown of one of the many trees in the area. It would be a whilebefore it woke up - so this battle can be considered won.

?2 : Woooo ! Another win !

The bearded man slowly walked over tothe euphoric kid and, taking him in his hands, tossed him up slightlyand sat him on his shoulder.

?1 : Neva' underestimate yer father, jit. Tho I had to admit - they're getting weaker and weaker....

?2 : Why is this happening ?

?1 : Hm... Lemmie show ye.

The man crossed a rather low fence with a little boy on his shoulders, then approached the other side of the street - and the border between the Florida Special Environment Region, cutely called "The Reservoir", and the Autonomous State of Florida.

?1 : That's why.

In front of the child stretched a beautiful, almost iddyllic image of green forests, hills and pastures stretching all the way to the border of the spectrum, where some large metropolis loomed.

?2 : It's.... beautifull.

?1 : It's also deadly to the environment of this sector. It's probably the only place where you can see such a view - Florida's low on elevation and all that. The thing is - It used to be all one big swamp. But people brought machines, did projects.... It's good for us, but not good for nature. Natural habitats of many rare animals are destroyed because of "Need of development space". A price for our ascension to the stars....

?2 : Ohh...

The child was on the verge of crying.

?1 : Don'cha worry, kiddo. Things are not so hopeless yet. Besides - maybe you'll change something else. Become a politician or something. Or a doctor - Or anyone ye want, as long as you remain human. That'll make ye old daddy DaLouc proud.