Chapter 8 The Way

Chapter 8 The Way

Renesmee's POV

          The rain begins to drizzle down upon the ground around me, but none of the rain drops can get to me because I'm protected by mommy's shield. She has now trained it to be impervious to even physical elements of the earth, which I happen to think is very cool. She smiles down at me, as the rain pours down her face, but scatters in all different directions, when it gets within inches of me. Sometimes mommy, and I like to practice her gifts in our yard. I look around gratefully, as I take in the features of our beautiful home here in Forks, where everything seems to come full circle.

          We've been back for nearly two days, and even though a few people from my beloved family have come to visit me, we haven't been there. The house that I was born in, seems so far away, and even though we're fairly close to it, we are so far away. I hear a car coming down the drive, and my heart skips a beat, when I realize who it is. Ever since the other day, I can't get him off my mind, and I know it's partly because of my quickly paced hormones. I'm finally hitting the teenage phase of my life, before I become my immortal self. I wonder when that'll be, but I have no way of knowing exactly when that'll happen.

          I turn my head to see Jacob's car comes into view, and I try to run to him, but mommy's force field keeps me within the confines of safety she has created. She smirks playfully, before running to him first. Just as she reaches him, I feel the shield give way, and I sprint to his side, and throw my arms around him, but I feel him recoil slightly, and he tenses at my touch. I see mommy give both of us a significant look. At that moment, I'm very glad that daddy isn't here, and that he blocks out my thoughts, for my privacy. I pull away, from Jacob and look over at my mom.

          "When can we go see them?" I ask her again, and she rolls her eyes irritated at my persistence. Ever since I learned what was going on, and what had been happening in our absence, I have wanted nothing more than to see my cousins. Uncle Emmett, and Lucas decided to have a baby, and instead they got two.

          "It's still a very big chaotic mess over there Renesmee, so we're going to wait until a better time to go see them because everyone over there is exhausted, and it's just not a pretty sight over there" she explains, and I sigh exasperatedly.

          "Whatever!" I mutter under my breath, dragging my feet as I saunter off inside. To my utter chagrin, she doesn't let my moment of irritation go that easily.

          "Renesmee Carlie Cullen, come back here" she calls, and I turn around to face her angry brown eyes. They are alight with the anger, and even the small hint of hurt that is just a small fleck in her eye, as she readies herself to scold me.

          "Yes mommy?" I ask, in my most innocent voice, and I see her gaze soften. All I see is Jacob's cute smile, trying to force back his silent laughter. I flash him, what I hope is a flirty smile, before turning back to my mother.

          "You will not speak to me like that, do you understand?" she asks, and I just nod. I turn to leave, fighting back tears because Jacob had to see me get scolded like a little child. I'm so embarrassed..

Lucas's POV

          I open my eyes, and immediately look around the room, before quickly realizing that I'm safe in Emmett's room. I stand up, rubbing the sleep from my eyes, just before the memories pour in like the swirling waters of the Mississippi River flooding over the broken levee. I rush from the room, and race down the stairs, and just before I reach the bottom, I see them. Emmett is sitting there on the couch, and in his arms, in his beautifully perfect arms are the two most beautiful creations on this entire earth. I take a step closer, and the utter perfection of my beautiful babies literally hurts my chest.