12. A golden foal to care for

The golden foal laid on the ground and tried to stand up every once in a while. It stood shakily on its hooves, till it fell to the ground again. It neighed in vain for its mother. It was a male and he was young, too young to live without a mother. He still needed to drink from his mother. He wouldn't survive, unless someone would take him in, or another female unicorn that had a foal would accept him as her foal, but that was unlikely. Izel pondered, till she finally knew what to do. She would take him in. She would care for him, it was her fault his mother didn't survive. If she had just been able to activate her ghost magic, she could have healed his mother.

„Hello, little one." Izel said softly and came out from behind the trees, lowering herself, she walked towards the golden foal. He neighed scared of the human infront of him. He once again, tried to stand up, to gallop away to his mother, but again he fell to the ground.

„I won't hurt you, I am here to help you." Izel spoke softly and in whispers, as she continued to near it. Regulus had been hiding in a bush, not wanting to scare the little foal. The foal did not calm down, it stood up in such a rush that it fell wrong and hurt his front leg. It whined at the impact and huffed in pain.

„No, no, don't hurt yourself." Izel said with wide eyes, scared of him dying too. She neared the foal and let herself fall onto her knees, the foal huffed scared. It whined for his mother again.

„Shh, shh, I know. Let me try to help you." Izel said as she stroked his neck, just as she had done with his mother. It seemed to calm him finally, seeing that she meant no harm. She picked up his foreleg carefully, trying not to harm him and closed her eyes as she focused on her ghost magic. Her hands started to burn only a minute later and silver mist emitted from her hands into the Unicorns leg. Only some seconds later, the leg was healed. The entire time Izel hadn't noticed, but now she did, the foal's dead mother had rubbed it's head against her shoulder the entire time, triggering her ghost magic. She looked behind her in wonder and smiled sadly at her.

„I'm sorry, I couldn't save you. But I promise you I will care for him and will save your son whenever he is in any danger." The female unicorn blinked at her thankfully and vanished.

Izel looked at the golden foal as it put pressure on the once injured leg and neighed delighted as it didn't hurt. He rubbed his head against her hand, thankfully. Izel grinned and pet his head, but she stopped grinning as soon as she knew what she had to tell him.

„Listen, I don't know if you can understand me, but you're mother she-..she died.." Izel waited a moment to see if the foal was going to react. The foal whined outraged and in pain of the loss of his mother. „I'm truly sorry for your loss, I tried to save her but- I-." She stopped as she felt something wet on her hand, turning her head at the foal, she noticed he was the cause. He sucked on her hand and rubbed his head against her hand, whining. He was hungry.

„If you allow me to care for you, I can get you something to eat- or well rather something to drink. Your mother wanted me to care for you and I will."

She put out her hand flatly and waited to see what he would do. He pondered and hesitated, before finally resting his head against her hand. Izel smiled and stroke over his head.

„Thank you for your trust, little one. Now, we need to get going, best if we go to Hagrid's hut." She stood up and helped him up, she was going to teach him to walk.

The golden foal stood shakily on his legs and would have fallen if Izel hadn't held him.

„Go on, take your time, step forward." Izel knew that she would have rather said 'hurry up' but she didn't want to worry the little foal. She wanted to get out of the forest as fast as possible, who knew if she would come out alive if she didn't.