34. Feels like loneliness

''It's been near six years since I last saw my lord husband, Maester. I must know... will he live?'' Rhaenys asked sitting perched on the throne at Driftmark

''He led his sailors into an ambush." Maester Kelvyn reported ''A ship made to look as if it were abandoned. In the fighting, his neck was slashed by a corsair's dagger. He fell overboard into the sea. The wound was severe. Much blood was lost." He went on and Rhaenys nodded slowly. ''But the greater concern is the fever that followed. The ship's maester said he burns from within." The seabirds could be heard calling out over the waters around them

''The ravens came in from?'

''Evenfall, Princess.'' Kelvyn informed her.

''So they arrive in three days. Let all be made ready to receive him, Maester Kelvyn.'' Rhaenys told him "I want a raven sent to Aisha in kings landing as well."

''The Sea Snake is strong.' Kelvyn offered as he headed out

''No doubt. And yet, I have seen blood fever overcome men half his age.'' Vaemond remarked coming up to Rhaenys.

''I will not suffer the talk of crows in my house, Vaemond.'' Rhaenys hissed

''I love my brother... but we must be honest with ourselves. We may greet his ship to find him gone. And who will take the Driftwood Throne?'' Vaemond offered.

''My grandmother seems quite comfortable here.'' Baela informed him confidently.

''She presides only in the absence of her husband. On his death, the seat passes-' Vaemond reminded them both

''To Lucerys Velaryon. As is my lord husband's desire.'' Rhaenys reminded him stiffly.

''I am the Sea Snake's own blood, the closest kin he has left.' Vaemond shouted

''Aisha-"

"Is a woman." Vaemond countered. "A child!"

"Be careful, good-brother. One could take your words for treason.' Rhaenys told him calmly.

''I speak the truth, Rhaenys. And you know it.'' Vaemond spat.

''The matter has been decided.'' Rhaenys sat confidently, calm and collected as his temper only grew.

''By a man whose ambition has brought down on us calamity after calamity. My brother cares only for the history books. But what of the Velaryon line? Is it to be snuffed out, supplanted by the pups of House Strong? Aisha is a Targaryen now. Driftmark is mine by all rights." Vaemond shouted. "And while I should like your support, I do not... need it. The winds have shifted. The crown has good reason... to take my side." Vaemond went on and Rhaenys let out a deep breath.

'' My cousin the King would have your tongue for this.''

''But it's not a king who sits the Iron Throne these days, good-sister. It's a queen.''

+

''Syrax brought a fresh clutch three eggs three eggs!'' Daemon exclaimed "place them in a North facing warming circle.' Daemon instructed

''At once my prince." They took the eggs from Daemon. "the maester brought this.... just arrived from the lady Baela on driftmark.' Daemon took the scroll as the two men walked away Daemon read it over slowly.

+

"Does loving him feel like loneliness?" Aegon stopped aisha in the hall and pulled her to him and kissed her for all to see. Aisha was startled she couldnt move couldnt think but then the reality of the situation came back to her and she pushed him away. But not before Helaena saw.

'What are you doing?'' Aisha hissed. She hadn't kissed him or touched him since her return with Aquarius she made it clear that could never and would never happen. She was loyal to Aemond but Aegon wasn't going to stop.

''Kissing you. Was that not obvious. Have you forgotten what its like to be kissed? To be kissed by someone that knows that has the experience to treat you right.'' Aegon mused his lips against her ear

''You are married. So am I.'' Aisha reminded him marching off.

''Aisha!'' He called frustrated after her.

''Im not yours. I don't think I ever truly was.'' Aisha told him before closing her chamber door. She had cut him off. She hated it but how could she go against the queen? Aegon however wasnt listening to his mothers demands. 

 The door opened but a moment later and Aisha was ready to yell at aegon for putting them in such a compromising position once again but it was Aemond that walked through the door.

''Aisha... are you alright?'' Aemond asked softly.

''Yes.'' She answered forcing a smile. ''I was just going to go for a swim.'' 

Aisha went for a swim to clear her mind often. But also because she needed to be in the waters. It gave her peace and connection like no other. Aquarius slept in the waters and not the caves. She still didn't like the other dragons and preferred the waves so Aisha made sure she spent a few hours with her every day. Also because Aegon had made his interest in her even more clear. When Alicent said cut him off, stay away from Aisha it was like it became a challenge to Aegon. His attempts more obvious, to everyone. She needed to be deep in the waters where she wouldn't be tempted. She loved Aemond, she didn't stray again. It was Aegon that was making it difficult.

''Could I join you?'' Aemond offered and Aisha turned to him.

''Yes. I would like that very much.'' Aisha agreed.

"I've never had a moment's doubt. I love you. I believe in you completely. You are my dearest one. My reason for life.'' Aemond told her kissing her gently.

"You always know what to say to make me both happy and sad at the same time." Aisha informed her leaning into him.

"Come on." Aemond urged leading her outside.