21. Should've

The Joker and The Queen // Daemon // Harwin out now!

''The Hand, Your Grace.''

''Say your peace.'' Alicent muttered

''Now, what peace is that?'' Otto questioned

'I've conducted myself in a manner... unbefitting my station. Or any other. I lost composure... assaulted the Princess. Already the word is spreading, the gossip speculating that I've gone mad.' Alicent remarked through a sob.

''All true.'' Otto agreed

''I disgraced myself. And ensured my husband's favor will forever rest on her.'' Alicent said with a sneer.

''And yet... I've never seen that side of you, my daughter. I even doubted its existence.''

''It was an ugly thing. I regret it.''

''We play an ugly game. And now, for the first time, I see that you have the determination to win it.''

''Rhaenyra..'' Alicent began.

''You see her for what she is.'' Otto told her.

''What the King's stubbornness has wrought. What will he say to me?'' Alicent said miserably.

''He'll forgive you. What else can he do? Now go to him, be penitent, plead the injury to your son. Keep a grip on your passions. And I promise you, in time, you and I together will prevail.''

''What that rogue Aemond has done in winning Vhagar to our side.''

''The boy was right. It's worth a thousand times the price he paid.'' Otto agreed.

+

''Mm." Rhaenyra winced out as the maester sewed her up.

''You will scar, but the wound will heal. Valyrian steel cuts clean.'' Maester kelvyn informed her.

''Gods. Is everyone all right?'' Laenor said entering the room, he had been in the waters since his sisters send off, he missed all the fun. "Is Aisha alright?"

''A broken nose is the worst." Maester Kelvyn remarked.

'' Thank you, maester. Leave us.'' Rhaenyra requested ''You as well. You've already found enough trouble today.'' Rhaenyra told her boys

''Yes, Mother." Luke agreed as him and jace left.

''I should've been there.'' Laenor remarked softly.

''Those should be our house words.'' Rhaenyra teased.

"Aisha-''

'Stood with Alicent and her sons." Rhaenyra hissed. "Stood with them and defended them."

"I heard Aemond lost an eye." Laenor remarked and Rhaenyra huffed out a breath. "Aisha has been close with Aegon and Aemond for years. Since our wedding." Laenor reminded her.

"We are family, not them!"

"Technically," Laenor began but Rhaenyra slammed her fist down on the table silencing him.

''I have fought dreadful enemies, but I could not defend my dear sister far from home and in agony. I could not defend you.''

''Sit down. Aemond called our sons bastards.'' Rhaenyra informed him and Laenor sighed as he sat.

''I have failed you, Rhaenyra. Our marriage... I tried. Our boys... I do love them.'' Laenor told him knowing the truth behind the words.

''I know.'' Rhaenyra assured

''Deeply. But I have not, mayhaps... loved them enough.''

''I had hoped to bear your children. The few times we lay together. Things might've been different.'' Rhaenyra admitted

''I hate the gods for making me as they did.'' Laenor said stiffly.

''I do not. You are an honorable man with a good heart.'' Rhaenyra corrected and Laenor chuckled looking over at her.

''It's a rare thing. We made an arrangement all those years ago to do our duty and... yet explore happiness.'' Laenor reminded her. ''But there are times I think when these things cannot mutually exist. Ser Qarl will return soon to the fighting in the Step stones. But I recommit myself to you. And to strengthening our house as we prepare you for your ascension. I will raise our sons to be princes of the realm.'' Laenor assured her.

''Laenor...''

''You deserve better than what I have been. You deserve a husband.'' Laenor told her honestly.

+

''I've asked them to have wine ready for you on the ship. To help you sleep." Alicent remarked putting a blanket over Viserys he groaned in pain ''I'm so sorry. Viserys...'

''We will speak no more of it.'

+

"Why are you not coming back with us?" Aegon asked.

"My brother is not going to the capital and my mother wants me here." Aisha told him.

"But why? You have been with us for years. I don't understand what has changed." Aegon told her.

"You are to wed Hela." Aisha reminded him. "I have no part in your future."

"That's not true." Aegon told her.

"No... it is true. And it hurts that it is." Aisha told him.

"Come back, we need not worry about Hela." Aegon offered.

"I wont be your whore." Aisha hissed.

"No not a whore, a lover a paramour." Aegon offered.

"I would be a fool in the capital.' Aisha corrected. "Have you learned nothing from today Aegon?" Aisha asked.

"What? Aemond is a little bitch?" Aegon offered with a laugh and Aisha pinched him. "Ouch, what? What was I to learn from todays proceeding expect that I drank too much and mother was yelling very loud in my ear." Aegon offered and Aisha huffed out a breath as she turned away from him. "Aemond is going to be fine." Aegon added.

"Bastards.' Aisha hissed. "Rhaenyra's children are bastards and you want me to be your... play thing?"

"You know I love you." Aegon told her. "It would not be like that."

"Men can do what they want Aegon but women can not. You would burden me with a bastard and a tainted reputation." Aisha told him.

"I could be like Aegon the conqueror and take a second wife, they wouldn't be bastards." Aegon offered.

"I love you Aegon but I deserve more-''

'I could give you everything!" Aegon shouted. "You wouldn't want or need for anything. Would you not rather be married to someone you love than married to someone you hate?"

"My father has not set a match for me." Aisha reminded him.

"We could be together. I know my mother-''

'You mother is not too happy with you right now." Aisha reminded him. "I'm sorry... I have to go. So do you."