Confronting the Beast

In the Basement:
Joan was pacing herself around the cruise's basement; no one but her could understand the trauma and PTSD she was going through now.

In her traumatic memories, Joan (12) practiced her archery in the fields until he heard a loud howl. Joan quickly stopped practicing and started to check on the creature.

The howl and loud noises sounded painful and unbearable, but she kept going.

After several minutes, Joan found the source of the noise and saw a wild and wounded white wolf. Trolls with white wolf/artic fox DNA are usually the size of an average wolf (depending on age), but this wolf was not a Troll.

The wolf was around 6 feet tall on its four legs but 10 feet tall on its hind legs. It had crystal blue eyes that made it look like stained glass, beautiful and superior white fur, and a coal-black color on its nose.

Joan tried to make sure she didn't startle the creature; she was carefully watching her step until she stepped on a branch and broke it.

Then immediately, the wolf turned its focus onto Joan, but as the wolf took a step, it howled in pain. Joan saw that its front right paw was bleeding and limping. So she walked forward quietly and carefully towards it.

"Shhh. It's okay; I'm not going to hurt you." Joan cooed to the wolf, trying to calm it down.

The wolf stared at her with her crystal blue eyes; they reminded her of Snowfall's eyes when she didn't do her hair for at least an hour. Joan smiled as she petted the white fur; the fur felt cold and chilly as she continued stroking it. Joan was enjoying it so much that she didn't even hear the footsteps of masked smugglers.

"Winter. Come here, boy."
One of the three smugglers said. Joan heard the voice and turned around to see the giant white wolf coming close to them as commanded.

The three smugglers were all county Trolls, but they wore black all over. Black hats, tunics, horseshoes, and even black capes.

"Come here, little girl. Do you want to pet the puppy? Come closer now."
A different smuggler said, beckoning Joan to walk closer.

What should I do? What should I do?
Joan questioned herself. Sweat was coming down as her heart was pounding loudly in her ears, and she was not looking as the smugglers walked closer.

Why? Why did I ever think a monster could be my friend? Why?
Joan questioned herself again as the white wolf came closer and closer. Joan was too scared to even move and think, so she just stood there expecting her fate. Getting eaten by the wolf.

Before she could react, she felt someone touching her. And she could hear someone calling her name.

Joan? Joan? JOAN!
The voice said, waking her up from her trance. She looked at her side to see Beetle patting her shoulders.

"You alright? You've been out for a while. Is everything okay?"
Beetle asked calmly as he sat next to Joan.

"It's-it's nothing! Nothing at all! But I'm fine. Thank you for waking me up."

"No, No, No, No, No! You are not alright! Stop saying you're fine, 'cause clearly your not!"
Beetle interrupted sternly in anger and frustration.

Joan was about to say something back to him, but she thought about what he had said. In pure honesty, Joan was not "fine," and she knew that herself, but she kept lying to everyone so no one could question her reasons and confusing decisions.

'Alright, you got me. But can we please talk about it in private?"
Joan asked as she looked down at the steel floor.

Beetle smiled and nodded in response, taking her to a spot in the basement far away from the company. And Joan explained to Beetle about her experience with the giant white wolf and how Snowfall's rage and berserk wolf sense reminded her of that experience.

Beetle didn't say anything throughout the confession; since he was the "therapist" person in the group, he was used to having talks similar to Joan's.

"I see. What happened after the bank wolf tried to attack you?"
Beetle said as he adjusted his glasses.

(Yeah, Beetle has glasses. Sorry I didn't mention this detail sooner)

Joan recalled back to the PTSD memory. All she recalled were that the archers saved her life and killed the smugglers and the wolf, but she never got a chance to see who saved her since she fainted before the archers finished the smugglers.

"Hmm, I see. How long has that memory haunted you, and why?"
Beetle kindly said again calmly, trying not to question her too much.

"It haunted me for about 4 to 5 months, I guess? Probably due to the feeling of defeat and betrayal. I wanted to help that wolf, but-but I feel for the trick, and-and-'
Before Joan could say anymore, she felt a hug coming from Beetle. He, too, was shedding a couple of tears.

"You know we could have talked about this, right? I'm your best friend, and I don't want you to suffer a similar fate as I did. From now on, let's promise to always talk to each other whenever bad things happen. I take care of you, and you take care of me. Promise?"
Beetle asked as he made the heart shape using his two hands.

"Awwww, come here!"
Joan said back, hugging Beetle tightly.

That's when everyone heard a loud thud. It came from a spot close to Joan, where Beetle was sitting. Before anyone could react, they all listened to a loud growl.

That's when the figure crashed into the wall. It was Snowfall, except she was still in her Arctic fox form. She had bruises, scars, and scratches all over her body. She was staring profoundly and coldly at Joan.

But when Joan looked back at Snowfall, she remembered what the archers had said four years ago when they saved her life.
"You good partner?" One of the archers said.

Joan nodded but looked back at the dead, motionless fox covered in sky-blue blood.

"Not used to seeing beautiful creatures getting killed?"
A different archer said in his country accent as he was cleaning his blades.

The first archer looked at Joan and smiled and took her closer to the fox and said this: "Sometimes you gotta get through your fear to see the beauty of the other side."
Joan was first confused when he said this, but she saw something extraordinary. The fox's body disappeared and turned into a fox spirit. It nodded and vanished away.

Joan got back into reality and looked again at Snowfall. She was about to attack, but instead, she kneeled before her.

"I don't want to hurt you. You... have... to... let go... of your fear."
Joan said as she took her hand, trying to pet Snowfall's snout.

Snowfall, on the other hand, was trying to remember that voice. That sweet, honest, and sensitive voice. As Snowfall continued hearing her, she started to calm down and took a step forward. Snowfall felt the warmth of Joan's hand, and seconds later, she turned back to the sweet and innocent Troll. Everyone gasped when they saw her crystal blue eyes peeking through her thick white hair, and it was the first time anyone (besides her friends) saw her actual face.

"I'm so sorry....for everything."
Snowfall whispered while tears were coming down her white creamy face.

"It's okay. I'm just glad you're alright."
Joan whispered back, shedding happy tears, pulling Snowfall in for a warmer hug.

"Just don't eat me!" Joan laughed along with Snowfall while Beetle, Maddie, and Carlos pulled them in for a tighter hug. Joan finally learned her lesson: to face her genuine fears and see the true beauty and courage she earned.