starboy and stargirl; finney b.

finney blake x reader

ᴺᴼᵂ ᴾᴸᴬᵞᴵᴺᴳ : Girls on Film
By Duran Duran

ᴠᴏʟᴜᴍᴇ : ▮▮▮▮▮▮▯▯▯
↻◁ II ▷ ↺

the day was long and hard. i had just left fourth period, a sigh present on my lips. my peers from the class -wyatt and kayla- walked beside me, chatting amongst themselves while i dozed off.

the small town in north denver was quite boring, so it was no surprise to me or anyone else at the school that most were yawning as they trudged through the hallways.

i somehow made it to a classroom, though it wasn't my fifth period. i stood by the doorway awkwardly, books clutched as i peered into the classroom window beside the door. as the students disappeared, he finally made his way out of the classroom. but he wasn't alone. i felt my heart shatter and explode as i noticed the girl beside him, donna.

donna was the kind of girl you'd expect in new york or some big city. she was kind, smart, and had an amazing sense of fashion. but here she was, new york city girl, in a small town beside the boy i had loved since i was born.

finney blake, the boy beside her, was the type of boy you couldn't believe was even looking at you. well, that's what i think, at least. many don't like finney, or just don't know him. but so does donna, and no one likes when you 'copy' off the smart girl.

i watched as they laughed, my eyebrows lowering slightly as she jokingly shoved him. i sighed lightly, taking a deep breath before disappearing into the crowd of students.

i decided it was best to ignore them as i stomped down the halls, ignoring the pit in my stomach as i made my way to fifth period.

and before i knew it, i was slumped into the small chair that has haunted my back for ages.

"what's shakin', bacon?" my art teacher, mr. leffler, asked with a smile, handing me the assignment for today.

i wanted to smile-- how could you frown at the man with a handlebar mustache who wears khaki shorts and has the stupidest fucking square glasses you've ever seen? but i couldn't, not even the slightest tug.

"boy problems?" he asked.

i looked up at him, my frown still apparent. i then sighed out, "you could say that." i glanced up at the door, my eyes widening as finney and donna entered the room.

little did i know, mr. leffler could actually be helpful and serious, despite him having a handlebar mustache.

the man soon silently realized what had happened, following my gaze to the pair. i turned back to the art teacher, and soon he turned to me. "can i tell you something?" he asked.

i was confused to say the least, but nevertheless nodded, letting my curiosity get the best of me. he leaned forward slightly, taking a seat in the chair across from me at my table. "don't tell anyone this, but i've known finney for as long as i can remember," he said. "and that boy is dumb; all boys are dumb. especially him, and especially him with the girls he likes."

i seemed even more confused at this. "okay . . . but he's not stupid when he's with me?"

"but, y/n," he paused, pointing at me, "i've seen how he looks at you. just saying, boys don't look at girls they don't like."

i was awestruck. "do you really think he likes me?"

he glanced at finney, then at my table. "you'll have to find out. hey, how about you ask him to your table for today?"

mr. leffler never let students change seats, but i suppose finney and i were exceptions. i hoped the teacher was right, and so i mustered up all my left confidence, and walked over to his table. luckily, donna was at the table to his left, so they didn't talk as much as they did in this class.

"um, finney?" i asked, pointing the back of his shoulder. he turned to me, and i swallowed hard. i felt my breath get caught in my throat, my words leaving me like the breath leaving my nose.

"oh, hey y/n! i was wondering where you were. i didn't see you in the hallway. you alright?"

i nodded, chuckling nervously. "um, i was wondering if you maybe wanted to sit at my table? mr. leffler said you were allowed to sit there," i said, keeping my gaze on the tiled floors.

finney nodded, smiling warmly. "sure, anything to get me away from these bozos." he chuckled, gesturing to the boys at his table.

a boy with long brown hair scoffed, replying with a series of words one would be quite offended by. but finney just rolled his eyes, ignoring his and the others boys' words and standing.

"i'm glad you decided to sit next to me," i whispered to finney once we finished our project.

finney nodded in agreement, "me too. i feel like we've gotten distant lately, y'know? so . . . i guess i'm just glad we're still friends."

my smile faded at his last word. "yeah, of course."

we sat in silence for a little bit, but i didn't want this period to end on a sad note.

"actually, um," i stumbled over my words. what the hell are you doing, i asked myself, but continued nevertheless. "would you maybe wanna go out and watch a movie sometime? this new movie came out, back to the future. only if you'd like to, of course." i added a chuckle, fiddling with my fingers under the table.

finney looked surprised, and that's when i knew it was all over. the pit in my stomach widened, nausea rolling through me like seasickness. i felt like i was going to throw up, and that one word would be the final straw.

"oh, sure! uh, well . . . " he quickly corrected himself, clearing his throat in embarrassment. "that's cool. tomorrow at six?" he said with a smile.

what?

i looked up at him, as his response caught me completely off-guard. my brain was still trying to process his response, but things started to make sense when i noticed none other than the art teacher behind finney, sitting at his desk, his eyes on me. his smile widened slightly, and he shot me a wink and a thumbs up, and i smiled back, turning to finney.

"cool, it's a date."

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

tysm for reading! hope u enjoyed & rmr to vote