realization; gwen b.

gwen x female reader
requested by wwwilysm

"Gwen?" you called out for your best friend. You yelled out her name a few times before she sighed.

"Yes, what?" Gwen yelled, only for you to yell out her name again.

Gwen stomped up the stairs of your vacation home, sighing to see you surrounded in beach towels and umbrellas.

"What did you do now?"

"Nothing!" you yelled defensively, frowning when Gwen put her hands on her hips and raised one eyebrow. "I just wanted to go to the beach."

"Your mom told us to wait until tomorrow. Our moms wanted to go out shopping, remember?"

"Well, they said they wouldn't be back until midnight, so. . ." you smirked.

"What are you thinking?"

"They can't tell us what we can't do."

And then after a bit more persuading, you had changed into a bikini and put on some sunscreen. You left the room a bit later, standing on the patio to quickly smoke a cigarette.

"You ready?" asked a voice behind you.

You turned to see Gwen, her brother, and her brother's friends. You sighed softly, exhaling smoke before nodding. You grabbed your bag, glancing at Gwen to see her admiring you. You smirked softly, winking while she rolled her eyes, looking away with a soft blush coating her cheeks.

You all were on vacation with your parents and Gwen's, going to some beach in the middle of nowhere. It was surprisingly busy in the small town, where you and your friends got lemonade and sat at the nearby beach.

You sprawled out on the beach towel, reading something by Melville as the boys played around in the water and made sandcastles. Gwen, on the other hand, sat beside you in a chair. She not-so-secretly watched you, admiring your features as you basked in the sunlight.

You obviously realized she was looking at you, managing to hide your smirk from her and eventually doze off.

Before you knew it, you had woken up to the sound of a familiar girl screaming. You sat up to see Finney being chased by Gwen, a ruined sandcastle beside them. You chuckled, realizing Finney sounded like a girl when he screamed.

You stood, walking up to Robin who was having a great time watching them.

"They really are related, hm?" you said, Robin turning to you and nodding.

You saw Bruce and Vance also watching them from their chairs. You gestured towards them, "They look like an old married couple."

They noticed you quickly, Bruce waving happily and Vance giving you all a little wave before continuing his conversation with the black-haired boy.

After talking a bit with Robin, Gwen had finally let Finney go. You convinced the rest to go into town, where Bruce and Vance split up with the rest to go to a park. Finney and Robin eventually split up with the two of you, leaving to go get more ice cream.

"Well, guess there's just us," you said, accidentally sounding disappointed.

"You wanna get lunch? I'm starving."

"Not really-" you started, but was quickly cut off.

"I don't care."

You rolled your eyes, asking Gwen what she wanted to get. She wanted pizza, and though you didn't, you didn't bother arguing with her.

The two of you went to a pizza place, sitting together in a booth.

"Ugh, this lemonade was all ice," Gwen complained.

"Not mine."

Gwen shot you a look, her eyes flickering down to view your almost full lemonade. Her lips tugged into a smile and she looked up at you with doe eyes. "Can I have your lemonade?" she asked in a fake, sweet voice.

"Seriously, Gwen?"

"Oh, come on!"

"Alright, fine," you said, sighing and pushing your drink towards her.

Gwen threw her hands around your body, hugging you and squeaking a "Thank you." For the rest of lunch, she sat closer to you.

The rest of your vacation went by in an instant, and before you knew it you were packing up your clothes. You were dreading leaving, so decided to enter Gwen's room instead of pack.

"Hey," you said, and she turned to you. She smiled, waking up to you and hugging you.

Maybe it was just the weather, but Gwen seemed to be more handsy with you than normal.

"You excited?"

"For nothing?"

She rolled her eyes. "Right, I forgot to tell you," she said. "I convinced our parents to let us stay for an extra hour. I'll drive us home when we leave."

You gasped softly, your eyes going round before a smile tugged your lips up. "Oh my gosh, thank you Gwen!" you leaped into her arms.

She chuckled, "Yeah, don't mention it."

The two of you spent the rest of the day shopping, eating, and doing everything you did the past week. But it was different with just her. You couldn't quite identify what was so different, but you felt different with just Gwen.

And then you realized. You had a crush on your best friend.