god is a woman. her name is donna; donna

DONNA IS GORGEOUS I LOVE HER

•••

the two of yoy leaned against a brick wall. but it wasn't just any brick wall -- it was the home to the students of north denver high, where you and vance hopper had decided to skip the last day of school. vance wanted to spend the day playing pinball at that stupid corner store, but after what seemed like an hour of fighting, you had finally convinced him to wait for school to end with you.

you watched as vance hopper took a drag from his cigarette. he turned to you, smirking before exhaling smoke. "you're staring, sweetheart." he said, chuckling at your immediate disgust.

"god, you sound like a perv, perv." you said, scoffing.

as soon as you finished my sentence, you heard the faint ringing of a bell echo through the school we were leaning on. you glanced at vance before positioning myself where you had a better view of the stampede of students rushing out of the school.

"and i'm the perv," vance whispered in your ear, leaning his arm on your shoulder.

"don't you have like thirty fucking girlfri-
ends to tend to?" you said, scoffing as you shoved him away from you.

"you didn't deny it."

you shot him a quick glare before your gaze was caught by someone exiting the school. you smiled before abruptly walking away. "neither did you, whore!" you yelled, walking backwards for a few moments to flip him off. you grinned when he rolled his eyes, turning back around and sprinting over to the school doors.

your head snapped around the stampede of students. where the hell is she, you thought, before recognizing her by a few trash cans. she seemed unhappy, her eyes glued to her friends who were dumping their old books in trash cans. you grinned, jogging over to her.

"y/n," she grumbled your name.

"aww, why so mad, sunshine?" you cooed, clasping your hands together.

she ignored you, turning to her friends. "would you all like to get dinner together?"

her three friends, all girls with light-skin and long, poofy brown hair, glanced at each other before turning to her. they grimaced in disgust before one girl, the shortest, chuckled. "um, no offense, but you don't even have a car. like, your parents don't even have one. so, like, can you even pay for dinner?" she chuckled, making a face that made it clear she was holding in her laughter.

you watched as your friend's face flushed red in embarrassment. you sighed lightly before glaring at the group of girls. "whatever. you wanna get out of here?" your friend asked, turning to you.

"yeah sure." you said quickly, failing at hiding how baffled you were.

"great," she said nonchalantly, walking in the direction of her home.

once you had walked far enough from the girls where they couldn't hear the two of you, you had started to process what had just happened. "sooo, what just happened?" you asked in a singy-songy voice, clasping your hands together.

"what do you mean?" she asked nonchal-
antly, so it sounded more like a statement.

"what you did was badass. you're not exactly a badass, sunshine." you said, stammering slightly.

she rolled her eyes at the nickname. "i told you to stop calling me sunshine, you boot-licker." she said quickly. "call me by my name."

you sighed lightly at her frustration. you could see her lowered brow, partly covered from her almond-colored curled hair blowing into her face. despite it being june, it was always quite breezy around the beginning of summertime.

"well, donnie, you aren't exactly a badass," you said.

she huffed, shooting you an intimidating look. "donnie? really?" she said, chuckling, but it sounded more like a scoff.

you shrugged, humming. "i need time to make my perfect nicknames for you." you said, giving her a quick smirk before your gaze fell back on the sidewalk.

"why don't you just call me donna? is that really so bad?" she said, a hint of nervousness in her tone.

"no, it's just boring."

a calm silence approached the two of you, where you both walked over to her house. you asked if you wanted to have a sleepover, and she said yes, wondering if the two of you could stay at your house. this caught you off guard- donna never had sleepovers at other's homes. you shrugged it off, nodding and helping donna get some of her things.

you lived near donna, so the walk was an easy, quiet five minutes.

"you wanna watch a movie?" you asked donna. she shrugged from her place on your couch and you sighed softly.

you put on one of her favorite movies, the outsiders, and let it play as you cooked some popcorn. you passed the bowl over to her, causing her to glare at you.

there was a comfortable silence between the two of you, and though you usually hated silence, you oddly liked the quiet moment with donna. you sat as you watched the movie, noticing how donna slowly scooted closer to you. you didn't say anything about it, glancing at her a few times.

"i don't know why," donna said randomly, turning to you, "but i feel so . . . weird when i'm around you."

you furrowed your eyebrows. "like hatred?" you both laughed.

she shook her head. "oh, don't make me say it," she said softly.

you knew what she was trying to say, but she couldn't say it. you nodded, glancing back at the television. "yeah, me too."

though donna hadn't actually told you her feelings, you knew what she meant. and you felt it too- she didn't need to be told.