Chapter 11

"Are you serious?" Kyler asked while Liza gasped.

"Here is the paperwork approving it," Owen said opening his briefcase. He handed the papers over to Kyler who shook his head.

"We are finally free of him," Kyler whispered as he read the words in front of him.

"I'm not yet but you are," she smiled softly.

"You will be in a couple of days," Owen said adjusting his tie. "I'll make sure of it."

"Thank you," she whispered as Kyler sat next to her so she could read the papers. "Seriously, thank you, Owen, everyone."

"Of course," they nodded with smiles on their faces.

"I'll be more than glad to help you fill out your applications for scholarships and colleges," Kota said looking at Kyler.

"Thanks, Man," Kyler nodded, "I appreciate it." He looked over and Liza had drifted off to sleep.

"Did you manage to get your number changed and bank account closed?" Kota asked and Kyler nodded.

"I'm on Mom's plan and she added me onto her bank stuff. I'll be getting a card in the mail next week sometime. I've got cash to hold me over until I get my card."

"What phone company do you have?" Victor asked.

"It's just pay as you go for now," Kyler shrugged.

"I'll handle that," Victor shook his head.

Just then Owen's phone rang, "Excuse me," he mumbled as he silenced the ringtone so it wouldn't wake Liza. A couple of minutes later he walked back in and cleared his throat. "There has a been a new development."

"What?" Kyler asked as the door burst open with Kiairi rushing in. The door slammed against the wall, startling Liza awake. "Sorry Mom, go back to sleep."

"Hmm?" She looked at him in confusion then winced as she started to lift her arm. "Ow..."

"Careful," Kyler warned.

"Mommy hungee?" Kiairi asked as she climbed on the bed.

"No, Sweetie, I'm not," she shook her head, "but you go ahead and eat."

"Hey, why don't we go get some sodas so we have something to drink?" Jess asked Kiairi who nodded excitedly. "Great, come on Squirt."

"What's going on?" Liza asked not liking the look on Kyler's face.

"Owen said something has happened," Kyler said looking at Owen.

"Owen?" she asked nervously.

Owen cleared his throat and adjusted his tie. He casted a quick look at Raven then looked down Liza. "There will be no trial."

"What?" Kyler asked standing up shocked, "why not?"

"It appears that Mr. Masters has been killed an hour ago during a fight," Owen explained.

"What?" Liza gasped.

"There was a fight between him and two other people and he was killed. The other two inmates were taken to the hospital but only sustained minor injuries. He was declared dead by the warden."

"Are you serious?" Liza and Kyler asked and Owen nodded.

"That was the warden notifying me since he knew I was pressing charges on him on your behalf. Plus since you are still technically married to him that would mean you would get widow's benefits and other benefits as well."

"No," she shook her head, "everything belongs to Kyler and Kiairi, not me."

"Mom," Kyler looked at her shocked.

"No, Kyler," she shook her head. "I don't want anything from him. Besides, he is still your father, you deserve to have anything of his that you want."

"We can discuss this later Momma," Kyler nodded. "You need to rest."

"I thought I was the parent," she mumbled as he pulled the blanket up for her a little more.

"Not tonight," he chuckled as she started to fall back asleep.

"Ky..."

"I got Sissy, Momma," he chuckled, "I'll protect her, I swear it."

"Excuse me," Kota mumbled as he stepped outside.

Kyler looked at the group confused and Erica shook her head, "Don't worry about it, Dear. You just remind him of himself a little too much." Kyler frowned in confusion and Erica sighed softly. "His and Jessica's father was like yours and they witnessed more than they ever should have before I was able to leave their father. Kota became the man of the house was too young just like you. He can understand way too much of what you are going through. He just needs a moment."

"Most of us came from bad situations," Nathan nodded. "We get it."

"Oh," Kyler whispered then smiled as Kiairi walked back into the room quietly this time. "Hey Sissy."

"Me gotted you Dr. Peppered Bubba," She smiled proudly. "You faborit."

"It is, thank you," he took the can and sat it on the table. "Did you get you one too?" she nodded. "Awesome sauce, let's eat."