Chapter 9

"I'm so sorry," Nathan blurted out once they got into the waiting room. "The way I hit his throat he should have fallen to the side, he never should have fallen backwards. I know how I hit him, this wasn't supposed to happen! This is all my fault!"

"No, it wasn't," Owen shook his head. "He did it on purpose. This is not your fault, Nathan."

"How bad is it?" Silas asked.

"Her hand is definitely broken," Kota sighed, "It will most likely require surgery, which will require assistance as she heals."

"That's fine," Owen nodded, "we will do whatever we need to in helping her and the children."

"What happened?" Kyler asked as he rushed into the waiting room. "Is Mom?"

"She will be okay," Owen said standing. "Your father and her got into an altercation and your sister came running to us. By the time we got to them he was choking her. Nathan tried to stop him but he ended up slamming the trunk down on her hand."

"Fuck," Kyler sighed as he picked up Kiairi. "Doc?"

"Working on her hand," Kota sighed. "What was your father doing over there anyway?"

"Guessing he found out..." He trailed off as an older man, a woman that resembled Kota and a teenage woman maybe a year or two younger than him walked into the room.

"Momma," Kota hugged her closely. "What are you doing here? I thought you had the day off."

"Doc Roberts called me when Sean paged him. What's going on?"

"Kyler, Kiairi, this is my mother Erica, my younger sister Jessica and North and Luke's uncle Ben but we call him Uncle," Kota said sadly. "Not how I wanted family meeting but Momma is a nurse, she will take good care of your mom while she works with Doc."

"What's going on?" Uncle asked.

"Their father isn't taking to Liza leaving him that well," Kota sighed. "Little One, why don't you go with Aunty Jess and get something from the vending machine?" Kota pulled his wallet out of his pocket and handed Jess some cash. "Aunty Jess can also take you to the gift shop to get something for you."

"Annie Tessie?" Kiairi asked and Jessica nodded.

"Come on Sweet Pea, let's go shopping," Jessica beamed. "I bet we can find something for Mommy to help her feel lots better."

"Take her to Build A Bear, Jessica," Victor said handing her his card. "Get whatever."

"Got it Bubba," Jessica smiled. "We're going to have lots fun, Sweet Pea."

Kyler sighed and ran his hand over his face, "He found out I pulled all my money out of my account," Kyler sighed. "He can't get my paychecks anymore and he found out I removed myself from his phone line. I also filed for emancipation."

"That must have been what he was confronting her with when Little Bit came over," Axel sighed. "He's lost it, Owen. All this..."

"It could have been way worse," Owen nodded.

"I'll go help Sean," Erica smiled. She walked over to Kyler, "Wish we would have met under different circumstances but it's nice to meet you. I'll take good care of your mom."

"Thank you," Kyler nodded and watched as she left the room. "She going to be okay?"

"She will," Owen nodded. "Doc, Momma, and Doc Roberts are the best there is. She will be fine. We will help anyway we can."

"Guess I need to call her jobs," Kyler sighed, "see if she has any paid time off or anything."

"Don't worry about that," Owen shook his head. "She will start working for me or a couple of us once she gets healed. We won't have her pushing herself for crap pay anymore."

"And what about our bills until she can work again?" Kyler asked.

"I'll cover it," Nathan shook his head, "it's my fault your father landed on the trunk. I shouldn't have hit him in the neck cutting off his air supply like that. It's the least I can do."

"You cut off his air supply?" Kyler asked shocked and Nathan nodded. "That's fucking awesome. You do karate or something?"

"I have multiple black belts in various marital arts," Nathan explained, "I also have a dojo where I teach."

"Neat," Kyler nodded. "Glad you made him suffer. So when will he be out?"

"He's not," Owen shook his head.

"Yeah," Kyler scoffed, "heard that before."

"He has been charged with attempted murder as well as a few other things," Owen said straightening his tie. "I've already spoken with the judge. He has no bail and I will personally be taking over the case. He will not be getting out, I guarantee it."

Kyler stood and faced him, "as much as I want to believe you, I learned a long time not to trust something you can't prove and you can't prove that he will never get out."

Owen nodded, "I understand that, you will be accompanying me to court to see for yourself. You will also be testifying against him."

Kyler nodded, "Good."