Chapter Twenty- Part Two

Micah

I was at my desk looking at paperwork from my last case when a call came in on my cell from a number I didn’t recognize.

“Hello,” I said hoping by some miracle it was Amineh telling me that she wanted me to just come home and forget about the whole break thing, even though I was the one who suggested it.

She has not called me since I left three days ago. The only time we talked was when I called her to check on her and the baby. I guess she was still really angry with me about leaving, but I still think it was for the best.

“Good afternoon, may I speak with Mrs. Amineh Miller please,” the lady on the line asked.

“She’s not in right now. May I ask who is calling?” I asked curious as to why they would call my phone and not Amineh’s.

“My name is Christina and I’m calling from St. Joseph’s hospital-Once she mentioned the hospital that Amineh went to my heart skipped a beat.

“This is Amineh’s husband, Micah Miller is something wrong,” I asked interrupting her.

“No, Mr. Miller nothing that I know of. It just seems that Mrs. Miller has missed her doctor’s appointment this week. We called and rescheduled it for this morning, but she has missed that one as well. When we tried to give her a call on her cell this morning we did not receive an answer,” she said.

It was not like Amineh to be late for anything, let alone miss something altogether, especially a doctor’s appointment for the baby. Come to think of it, I haven’t talked to her all day either.

“Okay, I’ll call her and see what’s going on. Thank you.” I said hanging up before she could even respond.

I called Amineh’s cell phone, the house phone, and her office phone over ten times and I got no answer.

I decided to just go home and check to see if she was there.

When I got to the house I searched around and found it empty. I decided to try her cellphone one more time. I heard it ringing and found it upstairs.

Now I was getting worried. Why would she leave her cellphone at home? I needed to find her to make sure she was okay, so the next place to look was her office.

When I walked into her building I didn’t even stop to greet the secretary or get directions, I just went directly to her office. I barged in only to find it empty.

I was heading back out of her office to see if the secretary might have seen her. I wasn’t even paying attention when I almost bumped into someone in the hallway. I opened my mouth to give a quick apology when I noticed who it was, Tyler. I didn’t want to cause a scene at my wife’s job so I chose the smarter route and kept walking.

“Are you looking for Amineh?” he asked. I could hear the smugness in his voice even with my back turned to him. I turned around to find him with his hands in his pockets and a smirk on his face only confirming that it was arrogance that I heard.

“Do you know where she is or not?” I asked impatiently not in the mood for games or to be conversing with him at all.

“No,” once the word left his mouth I was about to continue on my way down the hall until he said, “but she was in my office earlier”.

I am pretty sure the anger was apparent because at the thought of my wife once again being alone with this man. So, the next words came out as a warning to choose his answer to my question wisely.

“What was she doing in your office?” I asked.

“Kissing me,” he said smoothly, smirking as if we were having a conversation about the weather.

I didn’t even give him time to react as I pinned him against the wall. I had my forearm under his chin, cutting off his air supply within seconds. That annoying smirk was wiped from his face, hopefully permanently, as he struggled against my hold.

“For Amineh’s sake I’ve tried to keep my cool around you Tyler.” I whispered lethally into his ear. “Now my patience is running thin. Stay the hell away from my wife. This is the last time Im going to tell you. You get no more chances after this”. I finished, releasing my hold and walking away while I could hear him desperately trying to get air back into his lunges. I walked up to the secretary’s desk nonchalant as if I didn’t just threaten another man. Under different circumstance I would have felt bad for losing control like that but as of now I felt relieved. I feel like Tyler definitely got the message this time.

“Hi, did my wife, Amineh Miller come in today,” I asked the secretary.

“Yes actually. She went home about 10 minutes ago and she looked a bit distraught as well Mr. Miller,” she said sounding worried.

That would explain why I couldn’t find her at work or at home. She must have been at work when I went to the house and just left when I got to her job. But what was still puzzling was the fact that she was distraught. Even though it was hard to believe the only reason I could think of was because she felt guilty about kissing Tyler. The possibility brought a type of pain I’ve never felt before. But for the sake of my sanity, I needed to give her the benefit of the doubt.

So, I guess my next stop was home. 

***

Let me know what you think. Thanks for reading! :)