Chapter Twenty One

Micah

I was in the car heading home when I got a call from Amineh’s cell.

I decided to skip the hello’s and get to the question that had been plaguing my heart since he spoke the words.

“Did you kiss him,” I asked answering the phone.

It took her a while to answer, but when she did it I was still as confused as I was before I even asked.

“Yes… well no… well kind of... Micah I just need you to come home so we could talk about it,” she said sounding confused herself.

“Alright Im on my way now,” I said hanging up.

I parked D’s car, that I borrowed, in the driveway and sat in the car for a while. I decided right then that no matter what Amineh told me I wasn’t going to let her go.  

AMINEH

It was like deja vu. I could hear Micah walking down the hall and picture his massive frame against the floral pink wallpaper and I sat in the same spot I did when he found out I spent too much on online shopping. This time the situation was a lot less playful and more than just a minor scolding was at stake. Yet it’s still funny how much these past months have changed us. We are nothing like the couple we were then. Despite all this nonsense I can say I definitely love him more now than I did then.

He walked in the room, hands on his hips and eyes staring me down as if he already knew my secrets, just like last time.

For a few moments we stared, trying to interpret each other’s next words in just an exchange of glances. The only thing that broke our stare down was the baby kicking in my stomach, reminding me of the main reason why I wasn't going to let Micah go even if it required me begging and pleading.

I decided that there was no more time to waste on getting my husband back, forgiveness was not around the corner. So just like last time, I blurted everything out.

“I’ve been miserable without you Micah. All I have been able to do is work and eat; the only reason I have been able to eat was for the baby’s sake. I’ve realized how completely selfish I am and how undeserving you have been of the blame. So, I woke up this morning and went to tell Tyler that our friendship wasn’t worth risking my marriage. I honestly went to his office to just tell him that and I ended up telling him about how miserable I was and how I hadn’t seen you for three days. I thought he was just trying to comfort me and make me feel better. I don’t know how I can be so naïve at times. But he ended up kissing me and I slapped him,” I explained. The only emotion I could read on Micah’s face was pure anger; I don’t know if it was directed at me or Tyler. I was silently praying that it was the latter. Either way I finished the story, telling Micah about what I told Tyler before I left his office. I just kept revealing today’s events until I got to the part about seeing his missed calls when I got back to the house and calling him back, which led us to this point. I made sure not to leave out any details. From this point on I wanted no more secrets, no more hidden feelings, I wanted us to work.

When I finished, out of breath and waiting for some type of reply, he said nothing. He just stared at me, no anger, sadness, no emotion at all. Once again there we were trying to pry every emotion from each other only through our eyes. But I am pretty sure my look was more pleading, more desperate.

Once again our stare down was interrupted by my baby boy kicking in my stomach, more active then he has been in a while. My hand absentmindedly moved to my stomach and I only noticed because Micah’s eyes followed the gesture.

“Can I feel,” he asked as if he weren’t my husband, but some stranger on the street.

“Yes,” I said the answer should have been obvious. No matter what he was my husband and this was his child.

After he received my answer he wasted no time coming over to me, kneeling down in front of me, and placing his hand on my stomach.

“I choked him,” he said like he was telling me nothing of importance and I knew exactly who he was talking about. I must not have heard him correctly or he was kidding though.

“You did what Micah” I asked trying to get his attention off my stomach and back to my face; so, I could make sure he was serious about what he was saying.

“He told me he kissed you and I choked him,” he said with no hint of humor or remorse. He wasn’t joking.

The fact that he was so nonchalant about choking another man caused me to do something that even surprised me. I laughed. I laughed so hard I couldn’t breathe and my stomach started to hurt. Despite the fact that this wasn’t a laughing matter, I couldn’t stop.

When I did it wasn’t by my own will but Micah’s lips against mine, effectively shutting me up. I forgot how amazing his lips felt, as soft as rose petals. But despite his lips’ softness his kiss was rough, needy. Like he had walked the desert these past three days and my lips were a much needed drink of water. I kissed him back with just as much passion and longing.

It was me who finally pulled away when I started to get lightheaded from the lack of air. I rested my forehead against his not wanting to lose contact, not even for a moment.

“Do you forgive me,” I asked.

“Not yet, but I will eventually,” he said.  

“So, what do we do now?” I asked. We may have made up for now, but some of the problems that caused the troubles in our relationship were still unsolved.

“I come home from work on time for dinner and to hold you at night for one. You work on forgiving me for not being here and I will work on forgiving you for letting Tyler come between us. So, or now we start small and then we can work on the big stuff. But along the way we’re going to continue to learn from each other and fall further in love,” he explained. He made the answer seem so simple, like it was the only possible option at this point.

“I love you so much Rehum,” I said bringing his lips back to mine.  

************

This is one of the last chapters I will be writing! My goodness I cant believe this story is coming to an end. The next chapter will probably be the last. So, thank you. Thank you so much for reading, commenting, voting, following. You guys are amazing! I had no idea where this story would go when I first started writing it, but Im glad it went the direction it did. Like I said there will most likely only be one more chapter. Thank you again and let me know what you think.