The Long Game

After Yaz's breakdown, we all decided that it was time to head back to Mae and Veronica. Kenji puts an arm around Brooklynn while Ben and I held hands.

Sammy and Yaz were behind us.

The door burst open to see a running Nicholas, Darius, Mae, and Veronica.

"The plane left without you?" Mae asks.

"We're so sorry." Veronica apologized. "We don't understand what's going on here, but you have our word that we will get you off this island somehow."

"No. We're not leaving." Darius said. "Obviously, this isn't what we wanted. Like, at all. But we can't quit now. Mantah Corp doesn't care if they're hurting their dinosaurs. And Mae, Veronica, you both can't protect them all on your own. We have to stay until we fix this, however long it takes."

Brooklynn and I look at each other before looking at Yaz.

"Sure. Whatever you say." Yaz said.

"Let's get to work, then," Mae said. "We've gotta get Pierce back to the desert biome. And if the plane's gone, that means the new dinosaur food has already been unloaded."

We all ran to the doorway.

"We'll go check the T-rex arena to make sure the BRADs haven't tainted their food," Brooklynn said.

"Y'all, Yaz and I are both wrecked, so we're gonna get some rest if that's cool," Sammy said.

"Of course," I said.

"Yeah, don't worry about it," Nicholas said.

"After you're all done, we'll meet at Mae and Veronica's and figure out a game plan to protect those dinos," Yaz added.

I nodded and we left.

Brooklynn, Veronica, and Kenji went to the T-rex. Ben, Darius, Nicholas, and I went to Pierce.

Pierce growls.

"You 4 stay back. He's clearly agitated, and I don't want him to..." Mae was cut off by Pierce roaring and running straight for us. "Pierce!"

Ben pulled me away and I accidentally bumped into Darius.

Nicholas pulls him away and Darius does the same as Pierce swings his tail.

"Pierce, stop." Mae reached out a hand. Pierce roars. "Stop. Stop, Pierce, stop. Calm."

A recording grunts. Pierce roars.

"Scared. Yes. But... you don't have to be scared. 'Cause, we're gonna take you..."

Mae presses another recording.

"Home," Pierce growls. "That's right, darling. Home."

"She..." Darius started. "She just talked to a dinosaur." 

"Pffft. She did it with fancy science buttons. Bumpy, Y/n, and I found a way to talk through here. The biggest button of all." Ben said.

Nicholas and Darius gave him a 'are you serious' look.

I gave him a 'not the time' look.

"But, yeah. That was super cool. Heh." Ben made a comeback.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sammy POV

Yaz was on the bed as I set down my glass of water.

Yaz groans. 

"I think I might have forgotten how to fall asleep." She said.

"People always say to clear the mind, but I like to think of all the things that make me feel warm and gooey," I said.