XXVI

Y/N

"Y/N!"

Someone was shaking me uncontrollably.

"What?" I managed to mumble as I peered my eyes open.

"Y/N we need to go... now." Mattheo said as he tugged on my arm to get me to sit up. I started to get up, but I was apparently too slow because Mattheo put an arm around my back and then my legs and lifted me up.

That woke me up.

"What are you doing?" I struggled.

"Saving your life." He gritted as he carried me out the door.

"I can walk." I said, once again struggling to get down.

"Fine but come on." He put me down and grasped my hand, pulling me down the hall.

"What happened... where are we going?" I asked, following him. He didn't respond. We went downstairs and exited the motel. He continued walking forward through the streets.

It was dawn outside, the early start to the day. The sun shone in the horizon, tipping over the edge, as if to explode into full light in the next few minutes.

"Mattheo..." I tugged on his hand a bit to make him stop. "Mattheo-"

He immediately turned around and stopped, causing me to almost crash into him.

"What." His jaw clenched. I pulled my hand out of his.

"Where are we going. Why were we not safe there?" I asked.

Mattheo stepped back and looked up to the sky. His eyes flitted side to side as if he were thinking through something.

"I had an idea..." He said slowly. He looked back down towards me, his gaze meeting mine. I gulped at the sudden familiarity I saw deep within his irises. He looked away. "There's a car rental up there... we can rent a car and I'll drive you where you want to go."

I took a step back.

"That's... that's it?" I crossed my arms. "You dragged me out of bed in an emergency... for this?" I scoffed.

"Yes." He blinked.

"I had no idea muggles could be this stupid." I muttered to myself.

"What?"

"Nothing." I took a breath in. I rubbed my eyes and tried to calm myself. He dragged me out here in the morning to save my life? No there was something else that he looked like he was hiding. But our time to book the room was probably over soon so it didn't make sense to go back.

"So... shall we?" I looked over at where he pointed. He paused for a moment, as if not believing what I said. But then he nodded and gave a quick smile.

"Yeah." He said. We started walking in the direction he said. In the early morning there was a certain stillness in the air. Except for our feet on the pavement, and the birds twittering in the trees, there was no other sound.

After what seemed like ten minutes of silence, Mattheo finally spoke up.

"Where are you going?" He asked. I looked over at him, surprised that he wanted to initiate a conversation.

"Home." I answered. "To my family."

"You love them?" He questioned. I paused, not expecting that question.

"I did. Maybe I still do... but I don't know." I replied carefully. "I-" I stopped myself before I told him my plans about running away with Draco.

Mattheo looked over at me, noting my hesitation. He looked down at the ground.