Hunted

Four Years Ago

This update brought the worst changes he had ever experienced.

Casting a hunted glance in direction of the meadow, where the dancing flames of the summoning totem lit the grass with menacing, moving patches of light, Herobrine turned and ran to the nearest trees, hoping that his escape would go unnoticed. 

"There! I see him!"

"After him!"

The eager yells sent despair welling within him, making it even harder for him to cling to the meager remnants of strength that just began to return to him after his last respawn. The aches of pain from multiple strikes still ached in his entire body, forcing him to limp as he tried his best to get away.

He knew that he would not be able to escape this time, either.

A strike of a spear pushed him forward, throwing him face-first into the mud. Excruciating agony radiating across his back along with numbness in his legs, which refused to obey him, told him of the shattered vertebra. Still, he made an attempt to crawl. He could feel the entrance to an underground cave only blocks away. Hidden beneath rotting leaves and piled up branches, it beckoned to his sight, now flickering in and out of focus. If he only managed to fall through into that hole, he would have a slim chance to get away. Then, he would need only a few more minutes before he had enough strength to teleport and then he would vanish out of their reach altogether.

"Got him... Here, guys!" A very satisfied voice declared. Heavy armored boots came to his view and he ceased moving, giving up on further attempts to get away. His stomach sunk at the inevitability of what would now follow.

Another death and respawn. He had lost count of how many he's gone through in the past several days since the update. The new summoning mod overrode his normal respawn pattern, each time drawing him at random to yet another of the newly lit totems in the area. At first hundreds, now thousands of them sprung up in all local servers as the Admin informed the players of their latest news.

The player did not deliver a killing strike, yet. Desperation and a slight glimmer of hope led Herobrine to turn, allowing him to look at his pursuer. Attentive, dark blue eyes met him, considering him with pleased interest.

"Please... Let me go..." His plea fell quiet as more players ran in and surrounded him, their faces excited and weapons pulled at the ready. That's why the player didn't kill him, yet. He was only waiting for them. There was no use asking for mercy. They would not give it. They didn't even consider him alive.

"Are you getting all this?" One of them smirked.

They were recording this? Despite the despair and fear that filled him at the coming ordeal, some anger managed to return to his heart, though barely in embers. His pride, though previously shattered many times to pieces, also helped him to silence the useless begging that tried to break through. Herobrine glared at them.

"Why are you doing this?..." He asked angrily. The players did not attack, yet. "I can feel and think. And I perceive pain as well as you can in your own world. Why harm or kill me, when I can simply accept defeat and you can gain same rewards? Allow me to leave and you will all get what you want." He frowned at them.

The players exchanged an amazed look and brightly grinned.

"You're right, Greg. This bot is fun! He actually seems like a real person!"

"Let's not kill him just yet. I want to try something, first."

They didn't even bother to respond to his words. And Herobrine could do nothing when they lunged toward him. In moments, familiar dark metal chains wrapped around his body. With a jerk, which nearly sent Herobrine into unconsciousness as the spear still embedded in his back painfully jarred within his flesh, the players began dragging him somewhere. He was not too aware of the process, simply struggling to pull in breaths. One of the loops of the chain pressed against his throat so tight that it stifled him of air.